PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Installation

Raymondo
19-02-2004, 07:12 AM
I will soon install ADSL and I am torn between splitters/filters. Telecom advise a splitter if I have other than phones connected eg a Sky connection. I have a security system connected to the line which will dial a pre-programmed number in the event of an activation.
My assumption is that these devices are only needed when there is contention for the line ie I wish to use voice and data at the same time. The alarm will only ever want the line when the house is empty and everything is inactive. This being so, can I use filters on the phone outlets and ignore the alarm connection?

godfather
19-02-2004, 07:37 AM
Its not just a contention issue.

The ADSL signal has a frequency of over 1 MHz, while the phone line only needs up around 3 or 4 kHz. Accordingly the components in a phone can act as a "sink" for the 1 MHz ADSL signal, and severely reduce the level, irrespective if they are being used or not, as long as they are plugged in.

You may get away with the alarm, but its dependent on so many factors such as the design of the alarm and the signal level.

I would go the splitter way for reliability, and use an external router for connection for security.

TonyF
19-02-2004, 08:08 AM
>
> I would go the splitter way for reliability,
Is it just as effective to use a filter on each phone ???

Billy T
19-02-2004, 08:19 AM
I am with GF here.

If you want maximum speed and reliability, don't mess about with filters on phones. High frequency (ADSL) signals don't like seeing a variety of line lengths and multiple/variable termination impedances. Have a splitter installed, leading to a dedicated adsl outlet.

You won't regret it.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

godfather
19-02-2004, 08:33 AM
> Is it just as effective to use a filter on each phone

Almost (and in many non-marginal signal cases, yes)

However, its not pracical to install a filter on many security systems. They can be hard wired in.

Raymondo
19-02-2004, 11:07 AM
Thanks for your responses - splitter it is?
Next query. I intend to follow advice already given and go with an external router rather than a modem. I will have to connect via USB as I don't have an ethernet card in the PC. DSE seem to have a suitable unit (XH1149) but I could double the price and pick up something like a D-Link - RTA220 and get firewall protection as well. Is it worth it or would the DSE box couple with a softare firewall (I use a freebie Sygate system) provide all that an average user requires?

Shaun Minfie
19-02-2004, 11:13 AM
Well I have the RTA220 and it seems pretty secure to me. Even without the firewall turned on grc.com passes my machine with flying colours.

Shaun

Shaun Minfie
19-02-2004, 11:15 AM
Doh. on a side note. If you can then spend the extra $30 or so on an ethernet card. I have used USB routers/modems etc and have run into problems with them.

Shaun

TonyF
19-02-2004, 11:16 AM
> > Is it just as effective to use a filter on each
> phone
>
> Almost (and in many non-marginal signal cases, yes)

Thanks GF. My PC is in a room which has no phone jack, and lives at the end of a long extension lead. Not simple to get a wired in jack but might try one day.

Jester
19-02-2004, 11:39 AM
I use the dse router with Sygate (was Zonealarm until last week when PC started going real slow and uninstalling Zonealarm sped it up).

Spend $16 and get a network card (see here) (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4033f3f207b4754a273fc0a87f990718/Product/View/XH7975)at the same time as you get the router (or haggle dse for a free one). MUCH better at adsl than USB.

J
:D

godfather
19-02-2004, 11:52 AM
> My PC is in a room which has no phone
> jack, and lives at the end of a long extension lead.
> Not simple to get a wired in jack but might try one
> day.

Caution on that. ADSL may not like a long extension cord. The typical extension cord is flat untwisted pair and may not be well suited to high frequency data. You could always make one up using standard telephone or data cabling though.

The router doesn't need a "firewall" if it uses NAT (Network Address Translation), as that provides a good level of inward bound security. Thats all I use (Alcatel Speedtouch Pro) and grc.com gives me 100% stealth without a software firewall.

Only consider USB connect as a very last resort. Network cards are very cheap. If you use a network card you could leave the router at the phone socket and run the cat 5 network cable to the PC instead of the phone line of course.

Shaun Minfie
19-02-2004, 02:47 PM
> > My PC is in a room which has no phone
> > jack, and lives at the end of a long extension
> lead.
> > Not simple to get a wired in jack but might try
> one
> > day.
>
> Caution on that. ADSL may not like a long extension
> cord. The typical extension cord is flat untwisted
> pair and may not be well suited to high frequency
> data. You could always make one up using standard
> telephone or data cabling though.
>
>
> The router doesn't need a "firewall" if it uses NAT
> (Network Address Translation), as that provides a
> good level of inward bound security. Thats all I use
> (Alcatel Speedtouch Pro) and grc.com gives me 100%
> stealth without a software firewall.
>
> Only consider USB connect as a very last resort.
> Network cards are very cheap. If you use a network
> card you could leave the router at the phone socket
> and run the cat 5 network cable to the PC instead of
> the phone line of course.

Now thats what I ment to say :)

Lohsing
19-02-2004, 02:50 PM
Before you jump ahead and order a splitter... I have ADSL Jetstart at home, with Sky Digital and a monitored alarm plugged in.

I download consistently around 16kbps and am only using filters. Up to you, but I went the original $99 self install cost, and saved myself another $150 on a 'hard-wired' install. The installer suggested I test it out first, and then said I could upgrade at any stage if the ADSL wasn't working properly.

Up to you really.

Lo.

Raymondo
19-02-2004, 09:16 PM
Thank you one and all. I have a small footprint PC with limited expansion slots and I had hoped to free up a PCI slot when I dropped the 56k modem but it looks as though I will be installing an ethernet card.