PDA

View Full Version : Computer repair training..Where??

craigrob
17-02-2004, 09:25 AM
Hi all,
Can anyone help me locate some institutions in Auckland where I can study computer repair courses, preferable part time. I know enough already to be dangerous around a computer and I would like to be confident enough to start repairing from home.
Also I would be prepared to learn on the job if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful...thanks.

Odin
17-02-2004, 12:47 PM
You could try Avonmore on the northshore here is the website.

http://www.avonmore.ac.nz/about/campus/ns.htm

robsonde
17-02-2004, 12:52 PM
Avonmore gets my vote....

but remember that most of ths skills can be learnt off the internet, and palying around.

00falcon
17-02-2004, 07:41 PM
Auckland Business School...

There in the book... its where im doing my A+

Laters

whiskeytangofoxtrot
17-02-2004, 07:58 PM
> but remember that most of ths skills can be learnt
> off the internet, and palying around.

But the playing round should be done before you start charging people.

robsonde
17-02-2004, 08:13 PM
very true.......

start on your own system then start doing fixes for friends.....

then start charging...

never say you can fix it if you think it might be beyond your skill level.

craigrob
18-02-2004, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the advice everybody. Have been looking at doing an A+ course and was wondering if its worth it as I can already build comps and am not bad at trouble shooting. The only thing I find I'm lacking is knowledge in how to set up networks.

craigrob
18-02-2004, 08:35 AM
Hi 00falcon,
Could you please tell me how informative you are finding the course and if so how much extra are you learning now compared to what you already knew.
In other words is it worth it if I can already build comps and trouble shoot. Also how much is the course.
Thanks

whiskeytangofoxtrot
18-02-2004, 09:21 AM
> trouble shooting. The only thing I find I'm lacking
> is knowledge in how to set up networks.

Pick up a cheap computer from an auction or something and have a play with them - networks aren't too difficult at all, you'll soon get the hang of it.

ugh1
18-02-2004, 11:07 AM
> Hi 00falcon,
> Could you please tell me how informative you are
> finding the course and if so how much extra are you
> learning now compared to what you already knew.
> In other words is it worth it if I can already build
> comps and trouble shoot. Also how much is the
> course.
> Thanks

When I did my A+ last year I was surprised at how simple it was.. now I am kicking myself I did not just go in and sit the exams rather then pay for study etc..

I then went on to do network+ which looked like it was going to be a challange but when test time came it was simple enough, just a matter of reading each answer carefully, and according to my report only got one question wrong.

My only comment on the A+ exams is that the graphics suck badly!! alot of imagination is needed to figure them out.

Also the A+ is not the best to get, unless your jobs NEED it, you would be beter doing a MSCE or a BIT.

00falcon
18-02-2004, 02:31 PM
Howzzit...

The course is $6,500... And at the end you have Word, excel, Access, PowerPoint and some more unit standards...

Then its on to the hardware side... Before I started... I could probably build a comp... (Had built a couple of AT and low end ATX systems...) And I could get most problems fixed... albeit if not straight away...

So yes... I have definitely learnt invaluable information...

I mean... 90% of the time you default settings are fine... but now I can write down hexadecimal values... recognize them when I see them... and know what they mean...

$6,500 is allot of money for what can be learnt by reading books... playing with bits in the garage... and watching Press F1... ( I have learnt a lot of this site...) but the main thing it gives you is the piece of paper... the A+ Certification

If you want to be Employed... I recomend it... The A+ is a very looked for cert...other wise just keep playing...

Laters