PDA

View Full Version : Installing Linux

jcr1
16-02-2004, 10:20 AM
I have a 1.6mhz Compaq Presario with 384 mb ram, nvidia Vanta graphics card and two hard drives, a 20gig primary and a 30gig slave. Currently running WinXP. If I was to partition the slave drive and install linux there, would there be any fish hooks I should be aware of ?
I have a magazine version of Boot Lt ng, which seems to work alright (although I've only tried it in a superficial manner). I could also use cfdisk, which I've used quite successfully before to create a partition with Win 2000.
My modem is a Conexant HSF V92 56k internal, are there any issues with this one and Linux does anyone know? The other thing is (if the 56 k modem was to work) I have an Ultra connection; Ihug do have linux drivers available but only up to linux 2.2... and they give dire warnings about the consequences of trying to configure their sat. card if one doesn't know what they are doing.
Are there any thoughts on all of this?

Chilling_Silently
16-02-2004, 12:46 PM
> I have a 1.6mhz Compaq Presario with 384 mb ram,
> nvidia Vanta graphics card and two hard drives, a
> 20gig primary and a 30gig slave. Currently running
> WinXP.If I was to partition the slave drive and
> install linux there, would there be any fish hooks I
> should be aware of ?
Only if you've been on a boat this weekend.
Just make sure you install the Boot Loader on the Master Boot Record.

> I have a magazine version of Boot Lt ng, which seems
> to work alright (although I've only tried it in a
> superficial manner). I could also use cfdisk, which
> I've used quite successfully before to create a
> partition with Win 2000.
Take your pick, It's probably best to leave the space "un-partitioned" and your Distro of choice will partition your PC accordingly

> My modem is a Conexant HSF V92 56k internal, are
> there any issues with this one and Linux does anyone
> know? The other thing is (if the 56 k modem was to
> work) I have an Ultra connection; Ihug do have linux
> drivers available but only up to linux 2.2... and
> they give dire warnings about the consequences of
> trying to configure their sat. card if one doesn't
> know what they are doing.
> Are there any thoughts on all of this?
If you use scanModem.gz (A quick google will find it), it'll tell you what drivers you need to download for your Distro to make it work.

As for Ihug Satellite, the 2.2 kernel is old as.. we've been through 2.4, and the latest is 2.6.2....
You'll have to experiment and find out unless there are other Linux and Ihug Satnet users here :-)

What Distro?

Chill.

jcr1
16-02-2004, 03:11 PM
Thanks Chill, you've mentioned Ark Linux from time-to-time and it sounds interesting, not too big either, one can always add to it later I guess.
I've got a fairly recent version of Libranet, which is good, close to Debian too, so apt get can be used.
I suppose it doesn't really matter which distro as they basically have all the same properties, barring I suppose windows look alikes.
I might download & try Ark Linux

Chilling_Silently
16-02-2004, 03:39 PM
> I've got a fairly recent version of Libranet, which
> is good, close to Debian too, so apt get can be
> used.
> I suppose it doesn't really matter which distro as
> they basically have all the same properties, barring
> I suppose windows look alikes.
> I might download & try Ark Linux

Good on ya! Go for Ark Linux.

It also has Synaptic, so you can easily get KDE-3.2 :-)

Go Ark ;-)

Let us know how you get on

Chill.

jcr1
16-02-2004, 04:14 PM
As a matter of fact I've started downloading an ISO of Ark Linux and since my last post it's 32% of the way there (Ultra can be very fast at times).
I'm now using Firefox as a browser and the Gimp (big learning curve) for my imaging stuff, so I'm getting more "open source" as time goes on.
Plus the software that my son is doing for me is web based so that it's "cross platform".

Chilling_Silently
16-02-2004, 05:13 PM
That's great to hear!

That'll all make life easier...
Firefox is a great web-browser, only thing is it doesnt come with Ark Linux, so you'll need to download it yourself from the mozilla.org website :-)

mark.p
16-02-2004, 05:18 PM
Good for you. Have you had a look at Open Offlice yet?

jcr1
16-02-2004, 05:52 PM
Yes, I've used Open Office from time to time as well. Its not too bad as a replacement for MS Office; one of the first things I got into when I first started using computers about 10 years ago, was Excel, it helped me greatly with budgeting, predicting cash flow etc. and some of those files I did a way back then I still use today, they can be used in Open Office and Word and the equivalent in Open Office are interchangeable as well.

Tell me, I seem to remember that there is something I should do with an ISO when its downloaded, before it'll boot and start the install process; but I just can't remember what it was. Can you, Chill or MarkP tell me what it is?

mark.p
16-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Burn it to cdrom maybe ;)

jcr1
16-02-2004, 07:08 PM
Yes, I've done that, of course. But Cd won't start install, just boots into XP and I've set boot sequence to boot from cd first.
But I've got a vague recollection that there's something else I should do to get it going and I just can't remember what.

Jen C
16-02-2004, 07:26 PM
Did you burn the ISO as an Image? Put the disk in and view the contents, you should see a variety of files/folders, if you just see the one file it means that you haven't burnt it as an image.

If you used Nero Burning Rom to burn the ISO, select "other CD format" and then "Create a CD from an image file". Then browse to where the .iso is and select it. This will now burn as an image. If you used other software to burn the disk, just have a look under help for image files.

mark.p
16-02-2004, 07:29 PM
Now did you create a CD with the ISO image or just copy the whole file to cd?
Also you'll need to ensure the bios is set to boot from CD.

jcr1
16-02-2004, 10:37 PM
Darn!! I think I stuffed up the download, cause I've done all those other things that you've all said, and no joy (thanks guys). I've restarted the download but checking my data usage with Ihug and I'm going over my limit which makes it potentially very expensive so I'll have to wait till March to complete it.
In the meantime I could use one of my other linux distros; Libranet, Redhat 8 or Mandrake. Think I might opt for Libranet as I've always had a bit of time for Debian type distros and maybe look at upgrading to Kernel 2.6 (now that would be a challenge). Whoops, better not get too far ahead of myself.

mark.p
17-02-2004, 08:39 AM
No hurry. It's a learning experience and its best to take your time. There's a link to the "Simply Linux" book on the FAQ Linux thread you my fine useful. Its in text format so opens in any wordprocessor.

Chilling_Silently
17-02-2004, 09:26 AM
Personally, I wouldnt go as far back as Redhat 8, especially not seeing as you're so close to using Ark Linux. The two simply dont compare!

As for the 2.6 kernel...

Stick with 2.4.x for a little bit, and then you could move on to one of the .ark.rpm 2.6 kernels, or you could simply compile your own. Its highly underrated and now with the 2.6 kernel simplifying the whole process, its dead easy!

....But that would be getting ahead of yourself ;-)

Chill.

Jen C
17-02-2004, 09:47 AM
> Darn!! I think I stuffed up the download

Before you write off the download, did you check the md5sum for it? This will show whether the iso was corrupted during download. The site where you downloaded Ark from would of had a md5 file that you use to compare with your generated md5sum.

If you don't have a md5sum program for Windows, you can download one from here: MD5summer (http://www.md5summer.org/) - it was written by a Kiwi :)