PDA

View Full Version : No Power

Ian Burgess
16-02-2004, 08:20 AM
When turning on the computer it runs for 2 seconds then the fans stop. There are no beeps and the there is nothing on the screen.

Any ideas?

tbacon_nz
16-02-2004, 08:37 AM
I hope this isn't too obvious, but...

My PC has a power switch at the back and a button at the front. If it has been powered off at the back and you turn it on there, it shows sort of symptoms like you describe, and doesn't power on properly until you press the button at the front.

Ian Burgess
16-02-2004, 08:41 AM
This occurs after turning off/on the switch at the back and then pressing the button on the front. Pressing the reset button has no affect

Ian

Murray P
16-02-2004, 08:44 AM
What are your system specs, especially motherboard and motherboard software/drivers. It may be that an anti-burn (type) feature is preventing the computer from starting due to a fault (or overclocking) on the board, ram, cpu, video card and/or voltages. Or it could be the PSU (power supply unit). Whats the machines history?

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
16-02-2004, 08:48 AM
If you power on then off at the main switch, not the front panel switch, then hit the front panel switch there is often enough residual power to light up the LED's and a fan or two but thats all but only enough for this to happen once unless you turn the main switch on and off again.

Do you have a surge protector? Otherwise I suspect power supply. All other devices working ok?

Cheers Murray P

Ian Burgess
16-02-2004, 08:57 AM
The motherboard is ATX (don't have details at work) with athlon 1300 CPU

I have not overclocked it, ie every thing standard as the box came.

I have no surge suppresion.

Thanks Ian

drcspy
16-02-2004, 09:09 AM
well one thing to check is the ram ........if you have more than one ram stick take one out.......and test it with a single.....that is if it's sdram if it's simms ( the old kind with only 72 pins it NEEDS two sticks at a time to run) anyway try your best to either remove some ram and test with either or both or switch it to different slots if any are available........also this coudl be your cpu.......ouch.....no easy way to test that unless you switch another one in or put your one into a known good system.........it could also be your powersupply.........again .....if you can swap it out ......

Ian Burgess
17-03-2004, 08:14 AM
Problem solved

It was the power supply to the hard drive, as soon as the hard drive started in the boot up process the power supply turned off.