PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Find Deleted Files

willbry
15-02-2004, 04:46 PM
I deleted a whole lot of temporary files but must have deleted an important one because I now have problems with freezes etc and when i start up I get a message telling me that <csinsm32.exe> file can not be found and inviting me to Browse to find it myself. When I click Browse suppose I type into the window the file name, but then I don't know what to type in under "Files of Type" or where on the computer to look to find it. Can anyone give me a blow by blow explanation of how to find it and when I do, what do I have to do to get it back to wherever it should be to get the PC to function properly again. Thanks. willbry

Jen C
15-02-2004, 05:04 PM
csinsm32.exe is part of Norton CleanSweep. It shouldn't of "cleaned" out one of its own files. What you can do is use the Restore Wizard (found under CleanSweep > Programs) to restore your last cleaning session. If you are still getting messages about csinsm32.exe missing, you might want to uninstall and then reinstall CleanSweep.

willbry
16-02-2004, 05:59 AM
Thanks Jen for your help.Did what you suggested and unistalled System works 2003 but it will only allow me to re - install GoBack and Clean Sweep. When I try to install the other components Anti Virus and Utilities I get told to insert Disc "Norton Anti Virus LABEL" which doesn't exist . I only have the basic installation disc. Unfortunately Go Back will only revert to its initial istallation time Any suggestions?

Jen C
16-02-2004, 09:58 AM
Some of the Norton files did not get removed from the previous installation. It is a known issue and Symantec has a removal utility that you can run first and then reinstall the software.

Error: "Please insert the disk Norton AntiVirus Label" when installing Norton SystemWorks (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/0f75ab1a9982283d88256c250066dc94/ac2a7f18cd09513a88256ca20070255d?OpenDocument&prod=Norton%20SystemWorks&ver=2003%20Standard%20Edition%20for%20Windows%2020 00/Me/98/XP&src=sg&pcode=nsys&svy=&csm=no)

How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus by using the Rnav2003.exe removal utility (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606)

Let us know how you get on.

willbry
17-02-2004, 05:20 PM
Hi Jen
Many thanks for the websites,I looked them up but probably have corrupted files somewhere as I couldn't download Rnav2003.exe. However I found the Support folder from my disk and the system cleaner and cleaned out the remaining hidden files then tried a clean install but sadly I still get blocked when i try to install Norton Utilities despite there being no System Works files remaioning on the computer. I have tried the repair facility for Internet Explorer in Add/Remove Programmes but still no joy. Have I reached the end of the line or is there anything else i can do ? Whatever, I really appreciate your help in this problem
Willbry

Jen C
17-02-2004, 05:55 PM
>I couldn't download Rnav2003.exe.

What happens when you click on the Rnav2003.exe icon (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606?OpenDocument&ExpandSection=1#_Section1)? There should be a file of 348 KB (I just downloaded it myself OK).

> However I found the
> Support folder from my disk and the system cleaner
> and cleaned out the remaining hidden files then
> tried a clean install but sadly I still get blocked
> when i try to install Norton Utilities despite there
> being no System Works files remaioning on the
> computer.

That symclean.exe file you found on the disk will only remove older versions of the program, and not your current 2003 version.
SYMClean 2003 does not remove Norton SystemWorks 2003/2004 or its component products. It is designed to remove only older versions of NSW and its components. Using SYMClean to remove Norton SystemWorks 2003/2004 results in an incomplete uninstallation, and requires that you perform a manual uninstallation to more fully remove Norton SystemWorks - read more here (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/docid/2001101612274407?OpenDocument&Src=#_Section2)

> I have tried the repair facility for
> Internet Explorer in Add/Remove Programmes but
> still no joy.

Did you do this because your IE is unable to download files? What sort of error messages are you getting?

>Have I reached the end of the line
> or is there anything else i can do ? Whatever, I
> really appreciate your help in this problem

Well if your IE has problems, you can always for the meanwhile try another browser and use that to download the Rnav2003.exe with. This browser Mozilla Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/) is excellent and really easy to install and use.

Billy T
17-02-2004, 05:55 PM
Back up your registry, then use Start/Run/Regedit to search for every iteration of Symantec or Norton and delete those keys. It can take some time so be patient.

Don't do this if you still have any Symantec/Norton products still on your computer. If you have, uninstall them first.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

willbry
17-02-2004, 07:04 PM
Thanks Jen
When I click the icon to download the programme I get a window with a big red cross and the message < Connection to site failed. Cannot find server [DNS Error] while trying to download Rnav2003.exe >
I don't know what causes this but will try your suggestion of Mozillafirefox.
To Billy I have gone into regedit but can't see any files that look like AnywayI have gone to <Find> and clicked on <Norton> and <Symantic> and no files appear in the screen so I think my drive must be clear of any offending files. I also have another option up my sleeve I believe and that is to copy the critical folders and files to a newly created temporary folder on the drive and try to install from that rather than from the disc.Thanks again for your interest and help

willbry
17-02-2004, 07:12 PM
Hi Jen . the latest in the saga Tried to download Mozilla .Irt retried 6 times the I got the same old error message - unable to download so I think the problem is more deepseated than I residual NSW files

Jen C
17-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Oh dear. If you have access to a NZ PC World cover disk, it often has alternative browsers on it.

However, you might want to start a new thread about your IE problems so that can be sorted out.

willbry
18-02-2004, 05:56 AM
Hi Jen
One last try as I am going away on holiday tomorrow [ certainly need it after this] With down loading not working , I have manually copied all the files to a new temporary NSW file on my C drive and installed System works from there. The problem now is that when i click "One button check up", on all the areas to be checked I get a message "Scanner Not Installed" Have you any clues as to how I can fix this , for if I could get One Button to operate it might rectify other problems. Thanks for being so long suffering with this thread

Jen C
18-02-2004, 05:26 PM
Bad news I'm afraid. That error message "Scanner not Installed" for the One Button Checkup solution is to reinstall NSW, and you have already tried that route. Read more here (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/0f75ab1a9982283d88256c250066dc94/65324641bfa8eae388256a6900517917?OpenDocument∏=Nor ton%20SystemWorks&ver=2003%20Standard%20Edition%20for%20Windows%2020 00/Me/98/XP&src=sg&pcode=nsys&svy=&csm=no).

Out of interest, have you installed another program that is designed to "improve" the performance of your computer? If you have, you might want to take a look at the comment on that page link above for the short name registry key issue.

Are you running WinXP or WinME and have System Restore enabled? If you are, it certainly wouldn't hurt at this point to try and roll your system back to a date before your IE and NSW problems developed. I know you can't use GoBack because it was uninstalled/reinstalled recently.

Jen C
18-02-2004, 05:39 PM
> Read more
> here (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/0f7
> ab1a9982283d88256c250066dc94/65324641bfa8eae388256a690
> 517917?OpenDocument∏=Norton%20SystemWorks&ver=20
> 3%20Standard%20Edition%20for%20Windows%202000/Me/98/XP
> src=sg&pcode=nsys&svy=&csm=no).

Oops - sorry, bad link.

Seems I can't produce a clean link (maybe because the URL has way too many characters??)

You will have to find the document I was referring to by doing this:

Start here (http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/nsys/nsw_2003_se_tasks_component.html) and enter in the search box scanner not installed - the first returned hit is the one you want, entitled "Error: "Scanner not Installed" when running One Button Checkup". Hopefully you can find the correct page that way.

willbry
18-02-2004, 06:16 PM
Hi Jen
I've tried my last shot and copeid the appropriate files to a temporary folder on my C drive and installed NSW from it. There is however still one problem. When i open One Button Checkup, each item in the checklist has written beside it .< Scanner Not Installed> I think that if i could operate ione button checkup, it would likely fix other problems in the system. Do you know what I have to do to install the scanner component of this part of NSW ?
I.m off on holiday tomorrow for a while so if you have any answer to this one I will have to have a go on my return. Thanks for all your advice.
Willbry

Jen C
18-02-2004, 07:54 PM
> Do you know what I have to do to install
> the scanner component of this part of NSW ?

I answered this in my last two posts (the last one was to correct a dud link). The short answer is your NSW is now a bit of a mess, and really does need a complete uninstall and cleanout of the left over files. Do you have a friend with internet access you can use to download the removal utility and then copy it to CD?

What about System Restore, can you try that?

willbry
18-02-2004, 09:09 PM
To Jen Sorry can't use System restore as I have 98SE but will have a retry using your latest link on my return. Will close the thread with grateful thanks. You deserve full marks for patience and persistence.Willbry