PDA

View Full Version : No Default Connection to internet available

wooda2
15-02-2004, 01:11 PM
When trying to open INTERNET EXPLORER a window appears titled 'workoffline' no connection to the internet is currently available.
The only way to connect to IE is to connect to my isp thru dial up n/working or a shortcut on the desktop which dials up correctly and connects.
Then I can open internet explorer and use the internet..
The problem appears to be that in internet options under connections I can not retain the 'always dial my default connection'.
When closing down the IE and restarting, this setting always reverts to "current default: none".
I had trouble with zone alarm and removed that but the problem persists,even after creating a new dial up connection.

Peter H
15-02-2004, 01:16 PM
After changing the setting, I assume you tick the Apply box?
Bye

Jim B
15-02-2004, 02:01 PM
A third party programme is resetting your dial up connection. Do a complete inventory of anything that is internet related or which may require a connection and disable all.

Download and run Ad-Aware and Spybot.

wooda2
15-02-2004, 02:04 PM
Yes. It retains the new default till IE is closed then when reopened it is none again.

wooda2
16-02-2004, 07:06 AM
i ran spybot and adaware but nothing found except doubleclick cookies. the desktop shortcut (the big "e") has vanished too!

wooda2
16-02-2004, 07:10 AM
I took off google toolbar and all is normal again.
thanks to those who helped me :)

drcspy
16-02-2004, 09:12 AM
in internet properties beside that tick box that says 'always dial my default connection' you are getting an error 'no default available' ........now take a look just beside that tick box and make sure that you have a connection listed there under 'dial up and virtual private network connections' .........you'll have your dial up connection listed in tehre say it's 'xtra' for example.............just make suer that it says 'xtra (default)' if it dont then that's your problem.........jsut clik on it then clik the ''set as default" button then clik 'apply and ok'........

drcspy
16-02-2004, 09:14 AM
oh yep if that dont entirely cure it .......open any webpage or .jpg (which will automatically open in your browser usually) and clik 'file' then go down that menu and make sure that 'work offline' dont got a tick there

mark.p
16-02-2004, 09:53 AM
I know it doesn't help. But after having similar problems on various IE installs on various versions of Windows I just put a short cut to the dailer in my taskbar. Ok its a
two or three step job to log on but it "just works". Saves all the buggering around and time wasting trying to sort it out. This seems to be quite a common problen for folk.