PDA

View Full Version : On Operating Systems

mark.p
15-02-2004, 10:05 AM
I the course of everybodies computing experience's what OS has been the most stable, bug free, less suseptable to exploits, and less frustrating to learn as a desktop ? Let the games begin................

Jen C
15-02-2004, 10:19 AM
These sort of threads only result in flamewars and the thread being locked.

>Let the games begin.........

Trying to stir up a thread is not very conductive. If you were interested in an OS for a newbie and wanted suggestions, a rewording of your question might be required.

hsv-b0y
15-02-2004, 10:19 AM
anything but windows :)

Megaman
15-02-2004, 10:25 AM
> anything but windows :)

im in the opposite opinion :O

windows xp is good

drcspy
15-02-2004, 10:27 AM
why is a computer like an airconditioner ???

cause soon as you open windows it's useless

;-)

mark.p
15-02-2004, 10:30 AM
> These sort of threads only result in flamewars and
> the thread being locked.
>
> >Let the games begin.........
>
> Trying to stir up a thread is not very conductive.
> If you were interested in an OS for a newbie and
> wanted suggestions, a rewording of your question
> might be required.

Geez Jen C I'm not stirring I'm interested in folks opions. I've been watching the developement os desktop OS s for the last 16 or so years. So there :p

mark.p
15-02-2004, 10:48 AM
I forgot to mention Jen C I also collect OS/desktop Gui software I have-

OS/2 v2 tru v4 and OS/2 v4 server
GeoWorks 1.2
New Deal Office
Win 3.1
Wfw 3.11
NT4 WS and server
Various incarnations of Dos- MS, IBM, DR, Novell
Various incarnations of Win9x-win95 orig,95a, 95b, 95c, 98
Various Linux distros (just for fun)
And a host of apps to go with them including quite a few games.
A few books/manuals too.

All the commercial software I have bought and used so you see I've payed by dues.

Billy T
15-02-2004, 11:13 AM
> what OS has been the most stable, bug free, less
> suseptable to exploits, and less frustrating to learn
> as a desktop ?

IMHO it is almost impossible to answer that question Mark, because you have provided us with a constantly moving target. Each OS has faced the burgeoning demands of software developers, users, and abusers in its own way. Each has been a curate's egg (good in parts) in that all OSs have pleased some, annoyed others, and alienated a minority who wouldn't be pleased by anything that was not tailored to their specific needs and their needs only.

I consider that DOS 6, WFWG 3.11, W95, W98 and W2K have been (in turn) the most stable, bug free, least susceptible to exploits, and least frustrating to learn as a desktop. :|

No doubt when I move to XP I will find that it suits my developing needs better than W2k or its predecessors because my knowledge and experience have also grown.

As for:

>>Let the games begin................

Don't come the old soldier with us on your intentions Mark :^O, that comment makes it abundantly clear you were expecting controversy. Jen picked it in one, and was quite right to make the comment she did.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

Fire-and-Ice
15-02-2004, 11:21 AM
mark.p is obviously bored going from a lot of his recent posts. ;-)

Mark, go do something useful, like pick a PCW CD and post the index of it on here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=44411). You'll get yourself a PC World teeshirt or CD holder - talk about killing two birds with one stone. Actually, make that three birds. :D

mark.p
15-02-2004, 11:35 AM
> mark.p is obviously bored going from a lot of his
> recent posts. ;-)
>

Thanks for the offer, but no thanks.

> Mark, go do something useful, like pick a PCW CD and
> post the index of it on
> here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&t
> read=44411). You'll get yourself a PC World
> teeshirt or CD holder - talk about killing two birds
> with one stone. Actually, make that three birds. :D

The last PW mag cd I got I gave it to a worthy cause. Visiting the library and reading the mag there is more fun. Some very nice sites indeed

dumdum
15-02-2004, 12:15 PM
I'll go with Jen C and Billy T on this one.

Mzee
15-02-2004, 07:28 PM
I have used Computers since the Vic20 Commodore.
I list in the order of reliability:-
1] Windows XP.
2] Windows NT4.
3] Windows ME.
4] Windows 98SE
5] Windows 95C
6]Windows 95A & 98

I do not have any experience with Mac.

I believe that IBM OS2 was very good but suffered from lack of software.
NT4 (the foundation of W2K & XP) is excellent but the USB support is recent so there isn't any software for it supporting USB.

The biggest waste of time would be the various flavours of Linux. Geat for Data Base, Servers etc but too complicated for a Desktop.

JohnD
15-02-2004, 09:22 PM
>The biggest waste of time would be the various flavours of Linux. Geat for Data Base, >Servers etc but too complicated for a Desktop.

My question would be - have you seriously used it? I have had in exclusively on my home desktop for over 2 years and it isn't too complicated - but is is different! One of the big users world wide are Local Bodies where secretaries, etc are using it for everyday use. One of the biggest myths around about Linux is that "it isn't ready for the desktop".

mark.p
15-02-2004, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the input. Here's my list-
DRDOS 6 (had some great features, you could even password it to prevent other accessing your data)
MSDOS 6.22/WFW 3.11
Win95b/c (re win 95 orig and 95a -dos/wfw was much more stable IIRC. Had a mix of machines where I worked so it was quite easy to compare the two- win9x were always blue screening at the drop of a hat) .
I use win98 orig with updates and it runs better than a freinds win98se machine ;)
OS/2 v3/4(Using v4 to post this using Mozilla 1.5) it runs more software than some think.
NT4 SP4 & SP6a
Have used w2k in a network eviroment and had continous problems.
Have used XP and I prefer the leaner older syle look, function over form and all that (but unless I buy a new PC I'm not touching it, litte own connect to the internet with the thing. I'll patently wait for XPse or whatever the next incarnation is going to be).
Interesting comment about Linux. Is this personnel experience? I installed RH 8 on a machine and didn't have to go looking for drivers and such. And one reboot which I wasn't use to, as Windows/Dos/OS2 all seemed to require one after every lil tweek. Because the machine is an older I had to find GUI software that was more suitable for it (running KDE and Gnome where like trying to run w2k on the poor thing). Seemed to manage that ok. Would like to try a BSD based OS, I beleive the OS X is based on it and it seems to have a fine desktop enviroment. Wonder it it will ever get ported over to the the x86 platform?

All OSs mentioned seem to have an avid following of devoties don't they?

JJJJJ
16-02-2004, 04:36 AM
I can't see any room for arguement. Win XP is so far ahead of anything else. So it should be. In spite of all the grizzles MS are slowly learning!
Second choice for reliability DOS 6.
Linux may be OK for the experienced, but definately not for newbies.
Jack

jcr1
16-02-2004, 07:46 AM
> Linux may be OK for the experienced, but definately
> not for newbies.
Give a newbie Linux and some reasonable support and I don't think they'd go too far wrong IMHO. There's lots one can do with Linux and sometimes we get ourselves into hotwater, hence "oh Linux is hard". I know, cause I've been there! But if one was to use say, KDE, then there's not much less useability than Windows useability.
In saying this, at present I'm not using Linux, after experimenting with Mandrake, Redhat and Libranet over the last 2 or 3 years. I've got two fairly new machines (PC & laptop), both run XP Professional, which I'm happy with and I spend my spare time now, with setting up a wireless network (completed), ICS with a Proxy Server (completed) and, under my programming sons tuition, developing some farm management software (struggling). However, I look forward to the day when I will run Linux again as I have great respect for it and I think that "Open Source" is a great philosophy and its a way of ensuring freedom of the internet!
I suppose that whatever OS suits is the way to go, technology improves all the time and they've all had their day, or part of a day anyway.
Funny thing about Win 98 though, I never had any trouble with it at all, but some people have had everlasting trouble. Seems to me it could have been finicky with some hardware it was associated with?

Chilling_Silently
16-02-2004, 08:06 AM
I could debate all that.

Windows 2000, XP, and Longhorn (Yes, believe me it looks like all MS do is [i]add[b] to the code for Longhorn) all share part of the code-base as WindowsNT.

Now, call me crazy, but finding security holes in Windows NT4, and NT4 is around 8-9 yeears old, correct?

If they're still finding holes in an OS thats 8 or so years old, and that it shares a lot of its code-base with Windows 2000, XP, .NET Server, and Longhorn, then somethings up!
Personally, I would not call that securee.

Functionality, yes, Windows is quit good, although a little daunting, a lot of the PC n00b's that come into our shop seem to know that they double-click on the IE Icon and are usually pretty alright from there. There is nothing more embarrasing that runnning Windows ME and having it BSOD on the user when they're doing nothing out of the ordinary.
And there's usually precious little you can do to explain it away, aside from offering the customers another seat in the cybercafe.
Admittely, with WindowsXP, we dont have that problem. Explorer does crash on us a fair bit more, but we live with it.

My choice for reliability would be an LFS system running httpd. Doesnt get much better I'd say.
I can also say that I only had GeoWorks crash on me once.

Linux may be GREAT for the newbies Jack, have you tried Ark Linux?
Personally, my family have found it easier to use than Windows. Its more n00b friendly thatn Windows XP as far as they're concerned. The only apps that crash are Kaffeine and RoseGarden, and they're known to crash (Its still only Alpha but if those are the only two things that dont work, then damn do MS need to learn a thing or two about releases from Ark Linux).

Admittedly, you can get any OS to stay up if you really try. Ive had issues with Win98 and WinME a fair bit and found that Win95 or 98SE would be better... That's just personal experience.

DOS 6? I could agree with that :-)
I only had 6.2, and managed still to make my PC freeze a few times :p

Werent those the days.....

Now, what was that OS that the C64's run? That was cool.... ;-)

Chill.

Chilling_Silently
16-02-2004, 08:08 AM
:8}

Looks like my [ /i ][ /b ] tags didnt work :p

mark.p
16-02-2004, 08:39 AM
Do support your comments about NT based MS Windows. But with a decent firewall and using non MS apps in place of IE and OE tends to assist in the user experience. Its amazing the difference Mozilla makes as far as cutting down on the baddies. Yes the RPC thing is a worry and it is not going to go away any time soon unfortunately.

>> I can also say that I only had GeoWorks crash on me
> once.

Geez I forgot to mention that one. Still on the 286 in the attic with MS Dos 5.
You've had one more than me Chill ;) (Pops up and drags it out.....)
Now that I think about it its the only combo that hasn't frozen on me.

> Now, what was that OS that the C64's run? That was
> cool.... ;-)

The CLI was commodore basic I think and for the GUI was GEOS IIRC.

Chilling_Silently
16-02-2004, 08:45 AM
> Geez I forgot to mention that one. Still on the 286
> in the attic with MS Dos 5.
> You've had one more than me Chill ;) (Pops up and
> drags it out.....)
> Now that I think about it its the only combo that
> hasn't frozen on me.

I got it to freeze on me and my family a couple of times (un-intentionally.. it always came at a bad moment).

Those were the days.. 3 Disk OS's (MS-DOS) or 13 for GeoWorks....

We used ToyBox 2, now that was cool!

I think i'll drift back into the land of bliss for a while...

*Chill starts dreaming...

mark.p
16-02-2004, 09:12 AM
> I got it to freeze on me and my family a couple of
> times (un-intentionally.. it always came at a bad
> moment).

Must have been a user fault ;)

> Those were the days.. 3 Disk OS's (MS-DOS) or 13 for
> GeoWorks....

> We used ToyBox 2, now that was cool!

What did it consist of?

> I think i'll drift back into the land of bliss for a
> while...
>
> *Chill starts dreaming...

WAKE UP!!!!!!

Lizard
16-02-2004, 12:29 PM
> I the course of everybodies computing experience's
> what OS has been the most stable, bug free, less
> suseptable to exploits, and less frustrating to learn
> as a desktop ? Let the games begin................

1. Workbench 1.3/2.0 (not through an emulator) :D :^O
2. Win ME
3. Win 98SE
4. Win XP

Lizard

Graham L
16-02-2004, 03:28 PM
RT11

mark.p
16-02-2004, 06:17 PM
Any chance of some background on that beasty GL?