PDA

View Full Version : Problem with downloading AVG update

Misty
14-02-2004, 08:00 PM
Yesterday I downloaded the most recent AVG update which is 1322.9 K.
It seemed to download fine and it talked about restarting the PC.
After I had done this I ran the complete scan.

Today I went into AVG to check on the small chance there was another showing and it downloaded this. It did seem the same size and I was suspicious. Then I got the message that I already had the download. After I closed the PC right down and when I rebooted tried again. It started to download a third time. The site is not picking up that I already have the download. Is this a worry ? - and is the first download working okay ?
Misty

tommy
14-02-2004, 08:20 PM
I also downloaded a large update file for AVG yesterday and another one today but I did not note the file size of it. I do know it was smaller than yesterdays one. Neither update gave me any problems. It is difficult to advise if your first update is working correctly but if you are worried you could uninstall then reinstall AVG, otherwise wait a few days and try updating again.

Laura
14-02-2004, 08:27 PM
Misty
I'm not sure if I can help, but will compare notes on this...
I have my machine set to check AVG at 8p.m. whenever it's running at that time..

Tonight at 8p.m. it began downloading the update which I've since made a separate post on (As info for those who do theirs manually)
It was 1322.9 KBytes....Release Date 13-02-04.

I assumed that was Northern Hemisphere time, so today in our terms?
Admittedly, I may not have been online last night at 8p.m., so maybe it has been available since yesterday? But as nobody else had posted, I thought it was fresh news.

After reading your post, I've done a check for updates & been told my version is current - so the Grisoft site doesn't seem to be at fault.
Other AVG users may be able to provide more clues for you, perhaps?.

Jester
14-02-2004, 08:32 PM
hmmmmm

Last night I went to download the AVG update and I wasn't able to as it said I didn't have an "internet connection", which of course I did. I rebooted the PC and still got the same thing. I rebooted my router and it was still the same. I switched off my firewall in case that was the problem but still couldn't access the downoad.

That's wierd, I thought, then tried it again this morning and it went fine - from memory t was about 1300k, but it downloaded it at dial-up speed - about 4.5kb per sec. Other downloads are around the 14 - 16 kb mark.

I just checked again and it says I am up to date. Maybe they were having traffic problems?

J
:D

Chilling_Silently
14-02-2004, 08:46 PM
You could always try manually downloading the latest update Misty and putting it in:
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG6\Updates

Then load up AVG Control Center (I think its the CC) and it should automatically pick up the update and install it :-)

Chill.

Laura
14-02-2004, 08:54 PM
Jester may well be right about the traffic problems...

I AM on Dial-up & although my download started about a normal 4kb per sec. it soon slumped right down to a sluggish 1.1kb...something lower than I've ever noticed before.

So what showed a download time of 3 minutes at the start became 16 minutes in reality (and that's why I remember its total size, which otherwise I probably wouldn't have even noticed)

I agree with the suggestion that tomorrow may be a better time to check...But you should be able to find out if you're covered meanwhile by checking the "Active & Functional" settings....4 of them on one page.

Terry Porritt
14-02-2004, 09:28 PM
There are "millions" of AVG users around the world in different time zones all trying to download the updates :) I find when this happens to leave it for a few days, then try again. Speed will be back to normal soon.

Misty
09-03-2004, 11:14 AM
Hi Chill et al
I am still having the same troubles. Seems like the best thing to do would be to manually download the update [uninstalling at this stage and reinstalling would be a last resort, I assume !].

I have spent a lot of time trying to work out how to do a manual download . If I go to the AVG webpage the only things available are a full download of the free edition or updates to version 7. No mention of any upgrades to the free version. When I go to "Update Manager" at the AVG Control Center on the program installed on my machine I cannot see a manual update option. I feel as though I should be able to find something somewhere but cannot !!

How do I do a manual update please ?
Misty
:8} ?:|

mark c
09-03-2004, 11:44 AM
Misty You are not alone.

I had exactly the same exp. Flaffing round around at the AVG website tryine to find the free update for AVG 6. Round and round the merry go round. After the same download hassles ppl have reported above. "You are not connected to the internet. This may be done by connecting your browser", when all was up and connected. Finally I removed my copy of AVG 6 and downloaded another from the website (took about an hour) and made no difference. Then on Sat after the same rigamorale it said "you are up to date" so i thought oh right well leave it then and ......

practice safe surfing today. :D

Laura
09-03-2004, 11:55 AM
Hi Misty

I feel as though I should be saying: Well, here we are again...

I have a bit of knowledge on this latest update, as I also had problems getting it.

I wasn't alone. In fact, there were a couple of threads (Thursday or Friday?) & the general consensus was sheer overload on Grisoft's site.

I didn't get a download until Sunday night myself & because it was tricky even then, I wrote the details down. (As a novice working on Dial-up, it seemed like a good reference for the future)

I'll post with those shortly -once I find the notebook.

Laura
09-03-2004, 12:28 PM
I'm glad mark c has confirmed the "It ain't you. It's them" situation.

So my first piece of advice is: Don't give up.

Because my daily auto update kept flashing up uselessly (Kept showing File size -Unknown size, then hanging & finally dying), I kept trying Update Manager every time I thought of it (Got the message about restarting my browser etc). And I guess success was merely a question of fluking a quieter time than before.

What I got is Virus Database 393, Release Date 5 March. That seemed to be up to date to me on the 7th - though if anyone else has a newer version, I'll be interested to hear...?

It was 2067.8KB - and was really sloooww. Took nearly 25 minutes & not only ran 1.4 to 1.8Kb but stopped completely at least twice. I was almost tempted to disconnect, but found it restarted itself & finally set up successfully.

I did this via my own programme's Update Manager by clicking on the Update Now tab at lower right, so no need to find Grisoft's website yourself.

Just keep trying whenever you have a spare minute.
(Patience is a virtue, my grandmother used to say. Mind you, she didn't have a computer...)

godfather
09-03-2004, 12:34 PM
The manual update file is available as usual ... I don't use it but have installed for others.

At the Grisoft home page, select downloads - updates - AVG 6 - then select the free edition from the drop down list. Then select which you need as an incremental update

Or use the link below to get straight to the drop down list.

Where were you actually looking? as this is not hard to find!

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_updt6.php

mark c
09-03-2004, 01:20 PM
Hmmm. Yes it it easy to find now Godftather.

Mind you, I had noticed an incredible number of split ends that morning.

:D

Laura
09-03-2004, 01:27 PM
And the latest news is...

Following Godfather's advice - out of curiosity, never having looked at Grisoft's website- I found there's a newer programme version for me & another small update (63KB dated 8 March)

So -onwards and upwards

Misty
09-03-2004, 02:02 PM
Yes, thanks Godfather, I have found using the link you gave me (I will go back later and figure out why I could not find the first six or seven times round !).

I downloaded manually. Although each time before I had got the message that the download was successful but then sometimes it would say to restart the PC, which I did but it did not merge into the basic program. I just kept getting the message that it was downloaded and to re-start the PC.

Anyway, to say where I am now. I have checked Windows Explorer and find that I have eight AVG updates after the most recent one to show as merged on AVG - ie the last that worked fully - which was on 6.2.04. Therefore these eight updates are not being picked up by the main program for whatever reason.

I did try opening both AVG 6 system and also AVG Control Centre but neither of them picked it up. I tried re-booting. I tried double-clicking on
the update icons but got the "open with". Looked for AVG on "open with" and it was not an option so chose to brouse and added AVG but it simply opened the update and said it was ok !

What next please ??
Misty

Chris Randal
09-03-2004, 02:03 PM
They seem to be updating every day at the moment.

godfather
09-03-2004, 02:25 PM
From memory, don't you just copy the update to the appropriate folder in AVG (bin?) and restart?
It will recognise that there is an update in the folder, ingest it and then delete it from the "bin" folder or whatever it was called.

Now all this is from memory, but downloading and then "opening" it was never done when I have manually installed downloaded and updated it for others, a while back now.

Laura
09-03-2004, 02:34 PM
Interesting

I've now manually downloaded my latest update from the Grisoft site (83KB, not 63 as I posted). I Saved to Disk, but unfortunately didn't notice what folder it chose, assuming it would go to AVG. The download was fast & brief & seemed successful.

The site says running AVG will set it up automatically. It hasn't.
Choices now seem to be: (1) Search to see where it went - then try to move it to the correct place.
(2) Start again

Finding it is probably easy.
Moving it is probably beyond my capabilities.

Time for a cup of tea & a think

Chilling_Silently
09-03-2004, 02:35 PM
Godfathers on the right path there :-)

Copy the .bin update to your Program Files\grisoft\avg6\update folder

Right-Click on the Icon in your Systray by the clock and choose "Run AVG Anti-Virus" (NOT the Control Center).

It'll pick up the update and automatically install it :-)

Chill.

Jen C
09-03-2004, 02:51 PM
> I've now manually downloaded my latest update from
> the Grisoft site (83KB, not 63 as I posted). I Saved
> to Disk, but unfortunately didn't notice what folder
> it chose, assuming it would go to AVG. The download
> was fast & brief & seemed successful.

It would of downloaded it to where ever the last download location was - eg: My Documents etc. By default, unless you specify where you want it downloaded, it will always use the last used location.

> Finding it is probably easy.
> Moving it is probably beyond my capabilities.

You know the name of the bin file (get it from the site), so just do a search of your computer for that exact file name. When you locate it, just right-click on it and select cut and then navigate to the correct update folder (refer to Chill's post). Once you are in that folder, just right-click again and paste. :)

Just make sure the bin file was found somewhere logical (amongst your personal folders) and was not a system or WINDOWS bin file (as there are plenty of those and you don't want to go moving them elsewhere) :D

Chilling_Silently
09-03-2004, 03:04 PM
> Just make sure the bin file was found somewhere
> logical (amongst your personal folders) and was not a
> system or WINDOWS bin file (as there are plenty of
> those and you don't want to go moving them elsewhere)
> :D

Oh why not Jen? Lets live dangerously.... :p
</sarcasm>

Misty>
Havent heard from you in a while, send me an email sometime:
Chilling_Silence [at] orcon [dot] net [dot] nz

Chill.

Laura
09-03-2004, 03:10 PM
Woowww!

Thanks Jen

Now that's something I've learned in the midst of the AVG kerfuffle...

I never knew that downloads went to the last used location unless otherwise specified. (Usually do have to specify, but this time assumed that AVG knew what it was doing)

So even if this latest problem seems a mountain out of a molehill to you experts, it's teaching some of us more than just AVG

Misty
09-03-2004, 03:37 PM
Hi Chill
All of the eight updates are already in
Program Files\grisoft\avg6\update folder (I understand that this is the bin folder ? - and all eight are bin files).

I did not have to move them - they were already there. Perhaps I was not clear enough in my last posting. Also have already run "AVG anti-virus" and it has not picked them up. When I do that it tells me that the downloads are already there and to re-start the PC.

So unless I am wrongly picking up something that you guys are saying then there is still something not right.
Misty

Chilling_Silently
09-03-2004, 03:45 PM
Try downloading a slightly older manual update file.. There's one that's around 2MB, and IIRC you're on JetStream Starter so it shouldnt take long.

Chill.

Laura
09-03-2004, 04:37 PM
My update's inthe correct folder (Well, same one as in Misty's 4.37pm post) & it's marked bin.
And running AVG again STILL hasn't picked it up.

And I've decided the website & I don't agree, so I'll just keep trying to get it via my programme later.
(The sun is shining & life's too short to spend all afternoon on an itsybitsy thing when there's a wilderness which was once a garden outside)

And if it turns out that I can't get it - because I've theoretically already got it - I'll be back

Jen C
09-03-2004, 06:27 PM
Laura and Misty:

Did you read this part of the AVG site (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_updt6.php?lng=fe) where it says your program must updated from 516 before you can use the differential updates?

AVG 6.0 now supports smaller update files! The capability to support smaller updates has been introduced in update version 516. Going forward, all AVG 6.0 updates will be differential updates from version 516. For this reason, AVG 6.0 systems must be updated to version 516. In order to perform any AVG 6.0 update to a version higher than 516, it will be necessary to have previously performed update 516. Check the version you currently have by selecting the "Information" tab in AVG Control Center - "Program Version." If the version number displayed is lower than 6.0.516, it will be necessary to run the update 516 first. After performing the update be sure to restart your machine if prompted to do so. Once you have performed update 516, download and install the most recent differential update.

Both check that your AVG Program version is above 6.0.516 to rule out this issue.

godfather
09-03-2004, 06:33 PM
Jen, that rings a bell.

I had to do just that a while back for a colleague as he was updating but the program was still reporting the old definitions.

I found that and updated his PC manually and it all came right.

Misty
09-03-2004, 06:58 PM
Hi Jen
Yes thanks I had noticed that earlier - I have 6.0.580 so it is later than 516.
Misty

Laura
09-03-2004, 07:07 PM
Yes, I read that also.

Mine is 6.0.614 - so I chose my update accordingly

Misty
09-03-2004, 07:13 PM
Hi Chill
I looked for an older update and selected u610peog (which is about 2.9MG, I think). I selected it (after checking out on my list and thinking that is funny I don't see it in the Update folder but I do see the rest).
When I selected it and hit save I was given the default of saving in
C:/Program files/Grisoft/AVG6 and saw (inter alia) the Folder "Updates" and u610peog, ie - the only update file outside of the update folder.
(Did'nt the Godfather say something about the ones merged disappearing from the Updates folder ? Well all of mine are still there and most have been merged ok).

Ahah, I thought, that is the answer an older update outside of the Update folder ! But remembering what you said above I decided to download anyway. Then got the message that I already had the file.
So I moved the file to the Update directory. Ran AVG again. Also rebooted. Still did not work.

Still get told that the update already downloaded and to reboot the PC. Which I have done about 15-20 times already.

Frustration !!
Misty
X-(

PS - Will email you sometime soon, Chill - hope everything ok with you !
:)

Peter H
10-03-2004, 07:38 AM
Suggest you delete existing Version, go to grisoft & D/l and install again.
That's what I did 2 days ago, and no problems with updates. The new reg number is AVG-1-18212012-TLR.
Bye

Misty
10-03-2004, 11:10 AM
Hi Peter
That's what I've done and its worked. :) :) - someone earlier suggested this too.

Just prior I went back and re-downloaded, right from update 516 (+ 618) and replaced the earlier downloads, ie
d6032lhj.bin
d6032pgl.bin
u610tp00.bin
u610tuh8.bin

but although the downloads got into the Update folder okay and replaced the earlier downloads, I still got the message - you have download, restart your PC. But when I did the message still came up and it said that the program was only updated to 6.2.04. :( (now it says that the program is updated to 9.3.04. :)

Wonder how Laura is getting on ? I could have saved a lot of my time, and that of quite a few others, if I had done an uninstall and a re-install in the first place. On the other hand I keep on learning.

Thanks for all your help Godfather, Jen, Chill and others !!.
I certainly feel more comfortable with an anti-virus which is not four weeks out of date.

Misty

Chilling_Silently
10-03-2004, 11:16 AM
Misty>
That's great to hear :-) I simply downloaded the one to update from versions 516 to the latest, and now keep an eye out for any new ones each day so I dont fall behind.

Peter>
You can use any key as many times as you like.... That's not the "latest" key, its simply one that has been randomly generated.

Automatic Update is still very tempermental, and its hard because we've been recommending our customers use AVG. They then take it home and find it doesnt always update, and we dont look good :-(

Its still great for a free product!

Chill

Peter H
10-03-2004, 12:39 PM
Generally, after a reformat - which I just done - using the Version on cover discs, I tend to have problems updating. D/Loading from their site, as well as having the latest definitions, always seems OK.
Bye

mark c
10-03-2004, 01:05 PM
Congratulations and thank you Misty for this fine thread. hard to believe almost a month old.

And Pressfi-ers for helping us all not feel alone.

When the prob with AVG began I thought "Oh boy after all this time keeping this honey humming along now my comps finally gone bung."

What a fine thing communication is, being in touch, worikng out things together, helping out where and whenever we can.

A fine example to the world. (doubtless there are may others) :D:D:D:D

Laura
10-03-2004, 08:05 PM
Just reporting back...
My update on my update.

Tonight I read today's posts & resigned myself to a re-install. But I gave my own programme one more chance first - and presto!

It just sailed through as if there'd never been a problem. Grrrr...

I also thank everyone for rallying around. We can direct a new bunch of baffled & confused users to this thread next time.

It's the knowing you ain't alone wot helps...