PDA

View Full Version : windows xp. how to uninstall?

Hugh Jarse
14-02-2004, 04:22 PM
Hi People
Ive installed windows xp and decided I hate it and want to go back to my 98SE. I cant uninstall
there is no info to do so what Key do I have to hold down on boot up to bring up dos only screen please? I guess Ill have to format..
rgds
Hugh

kiwibeat
14-02-2004, 05:06 PM
you have to do a reformat and fresh install to get rid of it

Hugh Jarse
14-02-2004, 05:16 PM
thks kiwi
what key do i hold down on reboot to gety dos?

Odin
14-02-2004, 05:31 PM
Put your XP cd in the drive and boot up as if you would do when installing it. then remove the partitions. Then pace your windows 98 cd in the drive and boot the computer again. Choose from the options to boot to command prompt (dos mode). At the command prompt type fdisk and then follow the prompts to creat a primary and extended partition and any virtual drive you want. Exit fdisk and reboot and this time choose boot to command prompt with cd-rom support. change to your cd Drive and then change to the win9x or win98 folder. Type format c: to format the drive. Then when done type setup to install.

You only need to boot to the xp cd if you had installed XP before using the NTFS install, if it was normal fat32 then you can simply start off at putting the win98 cd in and follow from there.

Or you can go to http://www.madboot.com and download the win98 boot disk and it will do most things for you.

metla
14-02-2004, 05:53 PM
If you just installed xp over 98 then u can simply go into add/remove programs and remove xp,leaving win98 just as it was before the upgrade.

However i would suggest sticking with xp,it can be configued to be very close to 98 in seconds and has huge advanteges of 98.

Do you still intend to be using 98 in 10 years time?

stu140103
14-02-2004, 05:54 PM
Make sure you backup all your Documents, e-mail, Favorites etc....

mark.p
14-02-2004, 06:06 PM
> However i would suggest sticking with xp,it can be
> configued to be very close to 98 in seconds and has
> huge advanteges of 98.
>
> Do you still intend to be using 98 in 10 years time?

What? with all these rpc EXPLOILTS IN NT BASED DOZE. JOKING RIGHT?

phil.b
14-02-2004, 07:21 PM
Put your Win 98 startup disc in the floppy, re-boot, run through F-Disk, delete all partitions, re-format it in Fat32, remove start up disc, put your Win 98 CD in the drive, re-boot & re-install 98. If the system doesn't boot from the CD you'll have to go into BIOS & change the setting there.

Phil

Mzee
17-02-2004, 01:11 AM
My advice is to give XP a little time to settle down.
Beat it into shape,get rid of all the garbage.
Run "XP-Antispy" which will get rid off all those annoying popups and balloons. You can also set the desktop to "classical Windows" if you don't like the XP look. It is also faster.

XP is rock solid so persevere with it.