PDA

View Full Version : WinXP won't close down after installing ADSL router

bkjw
13-02-2004, 09:30 PM
I'd appreciate any help. Yesterday I had ADSL installed via a DSE XH1149 router. It was installed by a telecom tech. All seems OK but for the fact that Win XP now won't shut down. The only way the computer will shut down is if I press the shift button and click on 'standby', which then converts it to 'hibernate'.
I've contacted both IHUG and the tech who installed the router. Neither have been any help. The tech said he installed all the appropriate drivers, and has never heard of this problem before.

If anyone knows what to try in order to allow my computer to shut down I'd be very grateful.

Megaman
13-02-2004, 09:36 PM
well what actually happens? does it hang?

can you re start?

TonyF
13-02-2004, 09:40 PM
. Yesterday I had ADSL
> installed via a DSE XH1149 router
I've been considering getting one of these, which are liked by some other inmates of this forum. I would be pleased to hear how it performs.
Cheers T

whiskeytangofoxtrot
14-02-2004, 02:37 AM
Tried unplugging the router from the PC?

Without looking at the specs is it connected by EtherNet or USB?

and as previously asked, what is the exact behaviour?

piva
14-02-2004, 08:48 AM
I have one of these and dont have any problems when running from ethernet line. The handbook as usual has to be interpreted a bit but only took a few mins to install. It makes no difference on shutdown whether the router is turned on or off so shouldnt be handging because of that.
The taskbar computer icoms show wherther you are communicationg to the router successfully.

bkjw
14-02-2004, 06:17 PM
Yes it hangs on the window that says "Windows is closing down" I can only restart by pressing the compute's reset button.

bkjw
14-02-2004, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the replies
Apart from this problem it seems to be otherwise be working well.
It's connected via USB, and disconnecting this did allow the computer to shut down normally.

PoWa
14-02-2004, 07:02 PM
I would plug it in via ethernet into a network card on the pc. Then you are not so reliant on windows to do everything. Windows usually stuffs up and I always reccommend ethernet for routers.

See if there is a patch or something available for XP on windows update, or check if there is a firmware upgrade for the router that fixes the problem.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
14-02-2004, 10:42 PM
Try another USB port?

ilikelinux
15-02-2004, 08:33 AM
Ok, I like my dse Xh1149, but if you are going to be opening port 25, you will need to upgrade to the latest firmware, otherewize the router hangs.

I quite like my router after we upgraded the firmware :D

TonyF
15-02-2004, 09:47 AM
> Ok, I like my dse Xh1149, but if you are going to be
> opening port 25, you will need to upgrade to the
> latest firmware, otherewize the router hangs.
>
> I quite like my router after we upgraded the firmware
DSE makes warnings about updating the firmware they supply.
DL where from ?
Cheers T

Growly
15-02-2004, 09:55 AM
Maybe it's trying to close the USB connection, and it can't?

I'd blame drivers...

ilikelinux
15-02-2004, 10:27 AM
>DSE makes warnings about updating the firmware they supply.
>DL where from ?
>Cheers T

I upgraded it via lan, and it isnt compulsury to upgrade it, it's just if you want to host ur own smtp server.