PDA

View Full Version : Taskbar?????

jupi8
13-02-2004, 09:34 AM
Hi there,
lately when my computer is booting up, the icons in my taskbar (msm,network connection icon, zonealarm) take a while to load up and there is no indication of the computer doing any work until they start visually appearing. Sometimes this takes up to 5 minutes, and I have to wait untill they appear before I can continue to do anything.

I have a very fresh hard drive, I am currently only ocupying like 8gb of a 40gb, and have 256mb ram.

Sometimes it loads up instantly and in the past have been stoked with the speed on booting up.

Could someone please help me?????????

drcspy
13-02-2004, 10:04 AM
click start/run then type in 'msconfig' (no quote marks) then hit enter this'll bring up the configuration utility .......goto the startup tab and Untick all the stuff you think you dont really need running at startup.......leave systray and explorer alone.......

once you've done that go online and download 'adaware' from www.lavasoft.com and run that and remove any spyware you will almost certainly have resident on the system

Miami Steve
13-02-2004, 10:23 AM
Hi jupi8,

You don't say what OS you are using, but regardless of that, possible reasons for a slow startup could be :

1. Trouble connecting to the network.
2. A very large file saved to the desktop (or similar) that is being loaded from your profile every time you log on. Check the size of your profile in Settings / Control Panel / System / User Profiles - hope I got that right ?:|

A little more info would help track it down.....

Cheers
Miami

Miami Steve
13-02-2004, 10:25 AM
If the OS is win2K, msconfig will not be available.... That is why it is so important that posters put as much detail as possible :D

Cheers
Miami

jupi8
13-02-2004, 10:32 AM
Sorry, im using XP home edition, and can access the msconfig.
I have ad aware, dont think thats the prob, and the msconfig seems to have done the job for now.
In msconfig i cant see explorer anywhere is it represented differantly?

jupi8
13-02-2004, 10:33 AM
Thank-you
ALL