PDA

View Full Version : What's different between the normal Win XP version and the Acadamic version

scottiedave
12-02-2004, 09:42 PM
as above

R2x1
12-02-2004, 09:44 PM
AFAIK, price and a restricted availability
R2

agent
12-02-2004, 09:53 PM
Frankly, the only difference is the terms of the licence.

The Academic editions say something like "only to be used by a member of an academic institution", and cost less in an effort to entice students. The normal versions do not have this restriction.

I can tell you right now there is no difference in the functionality of the OS, I use Windows XP Pro Academic Edition and it is not crippled in any way (aside from that fact it is Microsoft software ;)).

PoWa
12-02-2004, 10:16 PM
I don't think you have to activate it onlin or by phone either do you?

the highlander
12-02-2004, 10:55 PM
"I don't think you have to activate it onlin or by phone either do you?"

Unfortunately it does. The normal activation process is required.

The eligibility for the academic version is interpreted differently at various outlets. Dick Smith photocopies whatever proof you have that you are eligible while some stores just take a verbal assurance.

Absolutely no difference in the os apart from the terms of the licence.

Odin
13-02-2004, 12:59 AM
The academic version is also only an Upgrade requiring you to have at least a windows 98se cd. However I have installed and reinstalled serveral times and never once has it asked me to put my older version cd in to check.

roofus
13-02-2004, 05:46 AM
intereresting Odin what you say about the install. I too have the academic version and it asked for my win98 CD.
I wanted to have a completely new install with an NTFS partion. Anyway i had to install win98 then run winxp install for it to then format the disk and insall winxp. a run around process but i got there in the end.

? did you just install winxp straight over win98?

Odin
13-02-2004, 10:29 AM
The first install was a clean install. The second third and fourth were done after formating with the XD cd, so I guess it already knew an OS had been used by reading the NTFS boot sector. I tend to reformat every few months or so and reinstall.

scottiedave
13-02-2004, 11:03 AM
so I will need a previouse window's version CD in order to intall the XP version ?

Graham L
13-02-2004, 02:01 PM
It might look on the hard disk to see if the previous version is installed, and ask for a CD only if it's a clean installation.