PDA

View Full Version : installing microsoft word

galeforce
12-02-2004, 07:13 AM
I have windows 98 se and have ample disk space and memory.
I have installed both microsoft works suite 6, which includes WORD, and microsoft office 97, which also includes WORD. However in both instances although both programs have indicated an " installed succesfully " WORD will not open to run. It appears on the screen then a window installation box appears showing preparing to install for a few seconds then every thing disappears leaving the normal desktop screen.
All other programs associated with these software installs like the spreadsheets,publishing etc function except WORD.
Word itself appears with all its bits in program files but what do I do from here.
I hope someone can help

tommy
12-02-2004, 08:03 AM
> Word itself appears with all its bits in program files

Does Word appear once or twice (ie in two different folders) in Program Files?

parry
12-02-2004, 08:21 AM
Hi, I suspect its a compatibility issue of some sort. Have you tried uninstalling the Word version of works and the installing the Word 97 version? There should be a way for them to be both installed but I cant find an article in the MSKB on this yet.

Billy T
12-02-2004, 08:22 AM
Trying to install two versions of the same program at once on the one computer is not a good idea and can cause many problems.

Best you uninstall both suites then reinstall them, choosing just the most recent version of Word (probably the one in Works) and leaving Word 97 out of the installation for Office 97.

You can sometimes install two copies of the one program if you choose different folders or install them on different drives, but that can still cause registry conflicts. Installing different version if much less likely to work, as you have discovered. There is no reason to install two copies anyway as you can only use one at any time.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

JJJJJ
12-02-2004, 08:29 AM
I doubt if you will ever get them all to work. As I understad it you should install the earliest version first. I have Word 6 installed and also Word XP and they work OK. But I had to install 6 first. Spent half a day installing and uninstalling.
Jack

Robby
12-02-2004, 08:32 AM
gidday.

the two versions of word will be conflicting. uninstall office 97, and check to see if word in works is now running. If not, I suggest you run the works disc again, and check to see if word is now ok.

when loading office 97 again dont allow a full install, click the customise button, and remove the tick from word.

good luck,

Robby

Peter H
12-02-2004, 08:37 AM
Using 98se - Office 97 & Works V 4.5 with no problems. Not sure in which order I installed them though. They co-exist OK.
Bye

galeforce
21-02-2004, 04:19 PM
Got it installed finally thanks but without outlook functioning. Not that I want to use that but has something to do with missing dll's

galeforce
21-02-2004, 04:22 PM
Finally got office 97 installed - took a whole day, and word and excel work ok. Outlook doesn't function due to some dll's missing but dont need that anyway. Thanks for your reply.