PDA

View Full Version : My system Resource Meter showing v low readings

ssssss
11-02-2004, 07:19 PM
I have Windows ME
For some reason my system resource meter is going down to dangerously low levels, even though I have hardly any programs open.
This is happening after I am using IrfanView for half an hour. It starts off OK, then the resource meter levels just go down and a warning to close programs comes on the screen. The levels do not go back up, on closing IrfanView.
Does anyone know why this is happening?

tommy
11-02-2004, 08:16 PM
An explanation may be found on the forum's FAQ section (link at top right of this page) in a post "FAQ #14: Computer runing slower, RAM clutter" by Roofus. Note that it will take a while to load this thread.

ssssss
11-02-2004, 08:53 PM
Thanks Tommy.

The relevant section in that FAQ that you gave me seems to be

>Another factor in system performance slow downs is “memory leaks” >This is where an application uses RAM and slowly uses up more and >more, hence cluttering your RAM; unfortunately the only way to avoid >this is to do a reboot. You tend to notice this when you get to the end >of your day and start imaging that everything is running slower……….. >well it is!

I have just found this program IrfanView and was really enjoying using it to view images, and it is a shame that this means rebooting every half hour. Perhaps they have an upgraded version that I can look for, which will give better results.

metla
11-02-2004, 08:56 PM
the faq is wrong, a ram scrubber will free up ram.

ssssss
11-02-2004, 09:02 PM
Thanks metla,
Can you recommend a ram scrubber that someone who is not very clever can use?

zqwerty
11-02-2004, 09:02 PM
And this is the program you should use. I have tried many of them and this is the best. Either the standard or the Pro version.

http://www.amsn.ro/

CU Rob.

metla
11-02-2004, 09:06 PM
I did use an excellent one back when i ran win98,im actually been waiting for the name of it to jump to the front of my brain.

That process doesn't seem to be working so far...

What i do rememeber about it is that you could either do it all manually or just choose a preconfigred set-up.

meh....maybe someone will throw out a couple names.

metla
11-02-2004, 09:15 PM
I just had a look at a few at download.com,none jump out as the one i used and i do recall a few of them causing more problems then they fixed.

This one looks worth checking out(mainly because its free and claims not to cause any greif)

http://download.com.com/3000-2086-10238480.html?tag=lst-0-8

Its always a good idea to read the user reviews,which is why download.com is an excellent resource.

tommy
11-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Metla, was it Cacheman that would help in this case?
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download308.html

metla
11-02-2004, 09:22 PM
Right on the money there Tommy,it was indeed cacheman.

I knew i would remember sooner or later.

Lmao.

cheers.

ssssss
11-02-2004, 11:51 PM
>I just had a look at a few at download.com,none jump out as the one i used and i do recall a few of them causing more problems then they fixed.

>This one looks worth checking out(mainly because its free and claims not to cause any greif)

>http://download.com.com/3000-2086-10238480.html?tag=lst-0-8

>Its always a good idea to read the user reviews,which is why download.com is an excellent resource.

Hi metla, I tried this one (Free Ram Optimiser) because it was free, and cacheman is shareware.
However it has not solved the problem.
For example after running IrfanView for quarter of an hour it crashes, and in my System monitor the readings are System resources 6% free, User resources are 34% free and GDI resources are 6% free

metla
11-02-2004, 11:55 PM
Hmm...it should monitor your resources and free up a boatload of ram when it gets to low.Have you gone thru all the options?

Not having used the program i can't be of much help,.....

ssssss
11-02-2004, 11:58 PM
PS The settings that Free Ram Optimizer XP comes with are "free ram to 13MB if it drops below 6MB". These settings can be changed to what you want. Currently it states my free memory at 9MB which seems very low.

ssssss
12-02-2004, 12:08 AM
I have changed the settings and now have 50 MB of memory free, but the othere resources in the System monitor are still unchanged at 6%, 34%, 6%

metla
12-02-2004, 12:40 AM
Does this happen only after/while using infranview or is it a constant occurence?

roofus
12-02-2004, 06:57 AM
> the faq is wrong, a ram scrubber will free up ram.

Metla you should know better than this! RAM and resources are two very different things, that you would know if you read my FAQ.

You can not release resources once they are in use. You can, but every other 16bit prog would have to release itself as well. And this is pretty hard to do.

to the original poster it is obvious that you are therefore using win98 or win95.

I got so sick and tired of the problem you face that i went and purchased winxp. This will fix your problem, but obviously it's costly.

So basically Ifranview has a resource leak, the best to do under this situation is to try and find an older version of ifranview and see if that fixes your problem. Also email the team at Ifranview and alert them of this problem.

Just out of curiosity run the resource meter and record what the levels are before running ifranview. then record what they are after. When opening a prog, you should expect a drop of about 2-4% anything higher than that, and you can conclude the prog is generally poor written (in regards to resource usage)

Back in the day programmers use to take care of what they wrote to ensure resources weren't wasted, now that winxp is out it seems it's become less of an issue.

roofus
12-02-2004, 07:01 AM
oh sorry Metla, had another look at the clip posted from my FAQ, and that was in regards to RAM leaks, yes indeed they can be fixed up with something such as cacheman.

However what the original poster is talking about is RESOURCES aka GDI and USER 16bit pointers.

Search through pressf1 in regards to these you will see this topic is a common one.

tweak\'e
12-02-2004, 10:08 AM
what ver of ifranview are you useing? also what other background programs have you got running? personally i wouldn't bother with so called ram scubbers/cleaners what you gain in ram you loose in resources unless your dealing with certian beta software.

metla
12-02-2004, 10:17 AM
Ah well,it was worth a crack.

Ditch infranview.

And Roofus,Hope i didnt offend you,that was not my intentiion and if i did then i apoligise.

kiwibeat
12-02-2004, 01:45 PM
I use ACDSee myself much more powerful and very easy to use have it on cd some where if needed

Graham L
12-02-2004, 02:47 PM
I suspect that you might be loading image after image, without closing the previous one. That eats memory. It's not memory leakage. ;-)

Try using the File/Close.

ssssss
12-02-2004, 05:29 PM
metla:-
You asked - >Does this happen only after/while using infranview or is it a constant occurence?
Answer : It only appears to happen with IrfanView

roofus:- - I am not using Windows 95 or 98, I am using Windows ME
The drop in resources is quite dramatic over a period of about quarter of an hour. Much more than 4%. More like 40%
I will look to see if there is a later version of Irfanview out, as I got this version some time ago

tweak'e the version of Irfanview is 3.61.
I will try and look to see if there is a later version which might be better

Graham L : I am using Irfanview to look at the thumbnails, which means a lot of images at the same time. But the resources don't recover from their dangerously low levels, even when I close Irfanview.

kiwibeat : I have got an older version of ACDsee which is good, but has a nag screen occasionally, as I haven't got the registered version.

Graham L
12-02-2004, 05:36 PM
I use Irfanview with Win ME, with no problems. It might be an idea to look for a later version. It's often on cover CDs (it might be in PC Worlds download area).

tweak\'e
12-02-2004, 05:41 PM
current ver is 3.85 (unlees i've missed an update). upgrade it and the plugin pack to.

ssssss
12-02-2004, 06:23 PM
Hi Graham L, and tweak'e,
I have installed version 3.85 from NoNags.
I couldn't find the plugin pack though.
BUT I still have the same problem!
Readings in the Resource meter are down to 5% 34% and 5%, after using irfanview.
It is a pain.

Bye the way, can someone tell me what settings I should choose on the Ram Optimizer which I now have installed on my Windows ME with 128MB of ram? At the moment it is "free ram to 13MB if it drops below 6MB'

roofus
12-02-2004, 08:18 PM
> roofus:- - I am not using Windows 95 or 98, I am
> using Windows ME
> The drop in resources is quite dramatic over a period
> of about quarter of an hour. Much more than 4%. More
> like 40%
> I will look to see if there is a later version of
> Irfanview out, as I got this version some time ago

Yes definately a resources leak, given that you got the new version and you still have the same proble, i would recommend dropping ifranview and using ACDsee. it should stop this problem

> Graham L : I am using Irfanview to look at the
> thumbnails, which means a lot of images at the same
> time. But the resources don't recover from their
> dangerously low levels, even when I close Irfanview.

Graham L has confused RAM with Resources (a common misconception) and as i said earlier the resources will not spring back (to the pre levels) after you shut down ifranview due to the way these 16bit resources work.

roofus
12-02-2004, 08:19 PM
sssssss the Ram optimizer isn't going to help you with your problem.

Also i didn't clarify earlier. WinME is part of the win9x family and therefore suffers the resource problem just like 95 and 98

tweak\'e
12-02-2004, 08:31 PM
i assume you uninstalled the old ver first ??

try another media program and see if the same problem accurs. i personally have never had any problems nor have heard of any with ifranveiw but there is always a first time ;-)

ssssss
12-02-2004, 09:33 PM
Thanks roofus and tweak'e.
Yes - I did uninstall the old version first

bmason
12-02-2004, 10:39 PM
After you uninstalled irfanview did you delete the directory where it was installed (\program files\irfanview) before reinstalling? The problem may be caused by a plugin that wasn't removed by the uninstaller.

kiwibeat
13-02-2004, 02:44 PM
I prefer 98SE myself 78% resources free after using ACDSee and kazaa lite and surfing the net had ME once never again XP pro is 5x better

ssssss
14-02-2004, 10:40 PM
I have just found out that the problem is not just with IrfanView, but when I am running other programs too, although the decline in Resource Meter levels is not so quick.
I suppose I must have some nasty on my computer which is a pain.