PDA

View Full Version : Blaster ?

beetle
11-02-2004, 03:50 PM
it's not me.

first up my friend rings up to say we have the net! they have just joined, she is over the moon about this, but she said we have a problem and she rang to say it keeps shutting down..... the computer that is,

Error says

Remote call procedure service terminated unexpectedly.
60 seconds to save....etc

this is blaster isnt it?

now i am doing a frantic brain search as to how can i help her???

she has nortons apparently,
please help me, and refresh my memory of what to do as i have not had this thing.

beetle

Biggles
11-02-2004, 03:55 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp

Murray P
11-02-2004, 03:59 PM
Hi beet

Could be so. Get them onto the Symantic site for the updates for Nortons and links and how to's to fix.

What OS are they using and has it been patched at all?

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
11-02-2004, 04:05 PM
MS "Contains no data". Which we all knew all along didn't we. Anyway thats the message I'm getting while checking out the convaluted history for another patch. I guess the stampede is causing a little strain on their servers so your fiend may have to be patient beet.

Cheers Murray P

beetle
11-02-2004, 04:05 PM
They have just got online, she doesnt know what im talking about when i said updates, so im picking not,

i dont know nortons myself so may be a block for me, but i can see what i will be doing for her tonight, and i have school tomorow, so no sleep....:D

she is a total noob, has never been online ever before, and did not know to safe gaurd her comp.

and its a PC co one i think, earlier model than mine, (she's had hers longer though)

thanxs

beetle

stu140103
11-02-2004, 04:08 PM
> this is blaster isnt it?

yep

beetle
11-02-2004, 04:22 PM
If i have this update installed how can i manually download it to disk to take round to her place?????

im off to search symatec now.

beetle

Megaman
11-02-2004, 04:28 PM
crap. teh ms site is down ans i cant find it on symantec

i'm doing the same time cos a family i know is getting a windows xp computer switching from mac.

metla
11-02-2004, 04:32 PM
direct link wanted?

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FixBlast.exe

metla
11-02-2004, 04:36 PM
> i'm doing the same time cos a family i know is
> getting a windows xp computer switching from
> mac.

Turning on the XP inbuilt firewall will protect it from baster.

If its already infected just remove it from start-up,enable the firewall so it doesnt get re-infected and download the fix.

Isnt it amazing this file is still bouncing around at such a rate?

I logged onto the net a few weeks back on an unprotected machine and it was infected within 20 seconds.....

Pheonix
11-02-2004, 04:36 PM
go here (http://www.it.iitb.ac.in/~sysads/misc/w32blast.php)

beetle
11-02-2004, 04:38 PM
Youre a doll Metla, thats the fix it tool i take it?

i now have to find the MS update????

beetle

metla
11-02-2004, 04:42 PM
After the removal tool has scanned the machine and cleaned it,she will tell ya about the ms patch and provide a link to download it.

Murray P
11-02-2004, 04:43 PM
beet.

I have a bunch of MS patches on CD including the MS Blast one along with AVG, Kerio, ZoneAlarm, Spybot and all sorts of other goodies including instructions. I put this together for a couple of colleagues who got hit by MS Blast then updated it for the my doom and the IE spoofing vulnerabilities. If you like I can add the lates patch and burn it for you. What OS (I have both win 2k and XP versions of patches but some are service pack specific, which makes me realise I should shrow the service pack on too. If you want it that is.

Cheers Murray P

beetle
11-02-2004, 04:44 PM
ok thankyou very muchly........

bliss to be unaware....

beetle

beetle
11-02-2004, 04:49 PM
ok she said she ran nortons at my request???

and it said she had something worm blast..... and it did a run and said it ok? but she doesnt think it did any updates etc?

what is nortons usual method ? quaranteen and fix or wait for manual updates?

im going round there soon, to have a nosy.... i hope.

beetle

beetle
11-02-2004, 04:53 PM
yes please.....?

sorry got side tracked looking and didnt see your other posts guys....

beetle

beetle
11-02-2004, 05:01 PM
If i manage to go round there, ill let you know how i get on??

and if i get it back online?

and she trusts me....lololololol

her biggest mistake yet????
:D

beetle

Fire-and-Ice
11-02-2004, 05:04 PM
> Youre a doll Metla

A doll? :O

I'm sure I saw metla drooling over boobies in another thread........ metla is a doll?! :O

Murray P
11-02-2004, 05:31 PM
metla is a rather confused Doll.

> yes please.....?

Yes....??

Cheers Murray P

beetle
11-02-2004, 05:34 PM
MP
yes for the CD?

he's not confused, he must know the deal if a mini metla is on the way dont ya think????
sorry Metla

beetle

beetle
11-02-2004, 06:10 PM
hi guys,
ok
get round here and she is downloading SP1, (116 mins worth????)

she has 47 updates the update site recomends, how many will she need?

and if i have blaster update on cd is this info not in SP1 that is now being downloaded?
and do i need to install this /

beetle

stu140103
11-02-2004, 06:20 PM
> she has 47 updates the update site recomends, how
> many will she need?

If you tell us what there is then we can tell you what she need & not needs :)

stu140103
11-02-2004, 06:24 PM
> and if i have blaster update on cd is this info not
> in SP1 that is now being downloaded?

Nope, I dont think so

> and do i need to install this

Do you mean that you should download/ install SP1?

If so then she can if she wants to do now, or do it latter, if that makes sense.

stu140103
11-02-2004, 06:28 PM
also if you are going to install win XP SP 1 then you might need to install this:

From MS support site:

May 28, 2003: Microsoft released an updated patch for
Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1). This revised patch
corrects the performance issues that some customers
experienced with the original Windows XP Service Pack
1 patch. For additional information, click the
following article number to view the article in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base:

819634 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb EN-US;819634) You May Experience
Performance Issues After You Install the 811493

The fix for this is included in the
811493 patch (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kbEN-US;811493)

NOTE: This is a revided version of the 811493 patch that MS re-released to fix the slow down problem.

Note: Iam not too sure if MS has fix this in the SP 1 yet.

Growly
11-02-2004, 09:51 PM
Hmmm, This may not be blaster....

I got it once or twice, but i think mine was a genuine error. I never had msblast, had all fixes and everything, and it went away after the seconds time and never came back.

Check id "msblast.exe" is running in the processes menu of task manager

Murray P
11-02-2004, 11:08 PM
I'll burn it tomorrow. I'll add some XP patches and service packs. Some of the later patches also include earlier ones so some of the 40+ you mention may be redundant. I have a utility called Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA.exe) which will give a system the once over and advise on what to install for the OS and some Office bits. Its a little less invasive than windows update so, it'll go on as well. Anything else you might need/want while I'm refreshing my downloads?

BTW, there are some goodies that will be usefull on the last few PCW CD's.

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
12-02-2004, 07:02 PM
Beet, I didn't have time to burn that CD today, needed to complete a report but, will do so tonight. How far did your friend get with the downloads so I know what to include/download.

Cheers Murray P

PS. Metla's having a wee one :O. Well apart from congratulations, how does that work beet, now I'm confused ;\.

beetle
12-02-2004, 07:37 PM
Any thing on that disk will be fine.

she has a few of the updates, im not sure all? some? or what....?

but apparently we were logged intoanother account not her account and so we are not sure what updates she got....... i didnt know this when i was on puter....as all seem to be admisnitrators????? (even the four year old?)
as i dont share my puter ..... it had not occured to me to ask, so how does that work? update wise? will these updates show up on everyones add/ remove screen????

and i havent checked with her today, to see what was downloaded or not, but we got the email running ok, (what a mission that was......)

so will check with her soon... i hope.
thanxs for the effort MP,

just when ever its done is ok...
and i have no brain left to make any comments on metla's predicament....
:D :p

beetle

toxicbass
13-02-2004, 04:36 PM
I logged onto the net a few weeks back on an unprotected machine and it was infected within 20 seconds.....

me2..on 2 different times, once when i turned ZONE ALARM off for 15seconds to send some one a file,and the next time when zone alarm shareware version trial period finished.

The first time i just formatted the pc,but since ive only jsut formatted it 30days ago,i cant be bothered doing it again.

Spent 15minutes looking at the MS site for updates after the magic MS thing had scanned my pc lookn to see what i needed,it said i needed ten thousand updates (xp pro) and i cant run the anti msblast exe til i get them all,so im stuffed unless i get ZA again..

Il carefuly read through all the suggestions from people too.
:-S

toxicbass
13-02-2004, 04:37 PM
AND...the PC restarts,about 50% of the time,when you just boot it up,and its finished loading and u

either start an application,
do nothing,
Dial the net

so its proly just this or another trojan

Ive used spybot (deleted 30 objects) and adaware weekly(10objects a week)

ZA is good,but must buy it now ...

Megaman
13-02-2004, 04:48 PM
>Note: Iam not too sure if MS has fix this in the SP 1 yet.

i can assure they have

i saw no performance decrease when i got the service pack last year

metla
13-02-2004, 06:50 PM
hmmm.....now for some reason this topic about the blaster worm has a couple times wandered off into talk about my gender....

Lmao.......Could only ever happen here.

Im am indeed male,an overweight,balding,30 year old,6 foot male.....

Mrs Metla is the one having the baby....

Fire-and-Ice
13-02-2004, 07:43 PM
> Im am indeed male,an overweight,balding,30 year old,6 foot male.....

And blonde? :p :D

beetle
13-02-2004, 09:39 PM
Sorry Metla.....

beetle

metla
13-02-2004, 10:45 PM
Nothing to be sorry about beetle.

Your a good bloke.

beetle
14-02-2004, 08:11 AM
And if they believe that one, God help em..........

:D
ROFLMAO....

beetle

beetle
16-02-2004, 09:49 PM
just updating a little all seems to be ok and clear at moment, she has downloaded ZA which was slowly driving her nutty, but we have sorted that one out, just time and patience for the rest now i guess????

thanxs all for help and input,

we will see what the future holds i guess.

beetle

Murray P
16-02-2004, 11:25 PM
Just put together a new fixit CD with latest AVG, MS patches, etc. how long it will be useful for is debatable with all the new vulnerabilities cropping up but should be good for reloading up to a point for a wee while yet.

How do I get it to you? If you have Chill's addy I'm sure he wont mind if you email for mine.

Cheers Murray P

beetle
17-02-2004, 07:52 AM
OK

ill give it a go i guess.

or post it to Raceway M..... , Wanganui

beetle