PDA

View Full Version : Peer to Peer problems

lpinenz
10-02-2004, 09:59 AM
Posted here before but here's another try.
Notebook PC running Win XP plugged in to Win98 peer to peer Network. 98 Desktop can see and use Notebook, but no go in reverse. Don't understand why. Obviously working ok as 98 is fine. What is it that I don't have set up on the Notebook that is stopping me seeing the 98 Network from that end.
Same at home between 2 PC's as well. ME in this case can see and use the XP PC fine but no go in reverse.

HELP HELP HELP !!!!!!!!!
Exhausted all my ideas, and it's wasting a lot of valuable time.

Thanks for any help in advance

Jeff H.

Ashley Matthews
10-02-2004, 10:20 AM
You may have tried this but it worked for me when I had this problem so you could try giving it a go.

What I did was set up a user account (admin on the xp machine) on each machine with the network name of the other computer as the username. I rebooted both machines and as both had full privileges on the other machine they could see and use files fine..

Hope this helps.
Ash

Noel Nosivad
10-02-2004, 12:13 PM
Hi lpinenz,

Win98 must be sharing something for you to browse it's network. The username of the WinXP machine must be a username that is allowed on the Win98 machine and vice versa for the Win98 machine, The subnet/netmask must be the same, e.g. 255.255.255.0

Static IPs are easier to maintain in smaller environments so setting it manually e.g. 192.168.1.2 for one machine and 192.168.1.3 for another.

Make sure all firewalls are configured correctly, you could also disable WinXP's one and get yourself one that wasn't involved for a sales marketing strategy that actually lives up being called a firewall.

Make sure you are running it over TCP/IP and remove other types of connections, unless you use them. You could setup both computers to reside in the same workgroup.

Don't assume the problem is the laptop, it's possibly something on Win98 blocking which is why you can't see it. Just try some of the steps above, and try ruling out which ones are not neccessary.

Noel Nosivad

zminos
10-02-2004, 12:40 PM
I also assume you're using the same ( for each OS ) nic and drivers? as it avoids confilict issues.

deffinatly turn off xps firewall.

try using the windows xp network setup wizard - although it sets up ip for you, using stat ip is easier.

have you check your cable? straight through not TP?

and yeah, most people forget to share something on both pcs, you might want to double check that too.

:)

mark.p
10-02-2004, 12:53 PM
> Posted here before but here's another try.
> Notebook PC running Win XP plugged in to Win98 peer
> to peer Network. 98 Desktop can see and use Notebook,
> but no go in reverse. Don't understand why. Obviously
> working ok as 98 is fine.
> What is it that I don't
> have set up on the Notebook that is stopping me
> seeing the 98 Network from that end.

Does the XP box have a 3rd party firewall installed if so disable that and the XPs built-in one first.

> Same at home between 2 PC's as well. ME in this case
> can see and use the XP PC fine but no go in reverse.
>
> HELP HELP HELP !!!!!!!!!
> Exhausted all my ideas, and it's wasting a lot of
> valuable time.
>
> Thanks for any help in advance
>
> Jeff H.

For simple peer to peer to peer file sharing I use NETbui for XP it is here- http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/evonotebook/us/download/14086.html -just follow the instructions.
You'll also need to have the NetBui protocol install on your ME and Win98 boxes- wown.com has a good guide on how to do this.

Its quick and dirty and "just works!".
Yes sometimes just the simple things work best.