PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like the RAM is dieing?

somebody
10-02-2004, 07:12 AM
I bought this PC new this year, with 2 256mb PC2700 DDR sticks installed in dual channel mode. Recently, when I (or other users of this PC) try to log off, there are what appear to be memory errors trying to access address ______ - wherever it's referring to. Since the PC is still under warranty, do you guys think it could be a RAM problem? (Sorry I can't quote the exact error message, but I know it's a memory error).

Murray P
10-02-2004, 08:10 AM
Does it prevent you logging off? Whats running at the time re programs and processes. Reason I ask is that you might have a sticky memory hog or something nasty which has set up residence on your system. If it checks out clean (AV, Spybot, Highjackthis) start looking for other reasons like ram errors. get your hands on Memtest or some such and give it a whirl. Be aware, though, that memory testers do stress the ram (benchmark it).

Cheers Murray P

mikebartnz
10-02-2004, 09:55 AM
Download DocMem and it can test the memory but I think if it was the memory you would be getting errors all the time and not only when you log off.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
10-02-2004, 10:02 AM
MemTest86 (http://www.memtest86.com)

Best memory tester ever.

somebody
10-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Thanks guys. The error does not stop me from logging off, but it just makes me worried. As far as I know it does not seem like it is spyware causing it, but i'll check anyway. I'll also give the memory tester a go.