PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla on windows?

fryup666
09-02-2004, 10:30 PM
I've been using mozilla for a while now, but recently had to re-install windows Xp pro.. and now guess what?? mozilla and netscape look like they install on my computer (install procedure) but will not boot up and run..Netscape radio (one of the components of the nscape install) will run but mozilla/netscape browsers do nothing? anyone else had this problem? any solutions or is there something I should know about microsoft and alternate browsers. I don't paticularly like the look, feel or usefulness of i.e.
cheers

Caesius
09-02-2004, 11:44 PM
The first step would be to check if you have the correct program for WINXP, the installation program may be for WIN9x. I would suggest downloading the latest version of Mozilla from http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

Support has stopped for Netscape, so unless you really think that you need it, I wouldn't bother using it. Mozilla IS Netscape that is to say it's based off Netscape so you'll be fine sticking with Mozilla.

Hope this helps.

Chilling_Silently
10-02-2004, 12:24 AM
Try temporarily moving the related folders from C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\

Then see how you get on.

Chill.

mikebartnz
10-02-2004, 12:25 AM
>Mozilla IS Netscape that is to say it's based off Netscape
Netscape 7.> is based off Mozilla but Netscape gave the 6 code to Mozilla.

Chilling_Silently
10-02-2004, 12:56 AM
Im sure they started sharing the source code way back before 6??

bmason
10-02-2004, 01:49 AM
Netscape origionally released the source to NS4 after someone important there read and was convinced by "The Cathederal and the bazaar". The mozilla developers looked at it and decided to start from scratch :-).

All later netscape releases came from the mozilla base before the NS only extras were added.

mark.p
10-02-2004, 08:05 AM
Here's an article that may set the record staight- http://members.rogers.com/mozlinks/MozillaNetscapeRelationship.html

fryup666
10-02-2004, 11:30 AM
Umm yes thanks all, but I'm not interested in the relationship between mozilla and netscape (yes mozilla is an opensource project based on netscape) but more WHY it won't install on my newly-installed windows XP... Interestingly, when I first installed windows XP I used their phone number to register XP, this time I used their automated net link to register...Now I'm not going to suggest that I have some sort of 'security' patch that prevents me from installing a browser other than microsoft's i.e. .. but I've definatley got the latest version, I've done nothing different from the first time APART from connecting to microsoft's website. Consiracy theory anyone? thanks for your replies..

whiskeytangofoxtrot
12-02-2004, 02:27 AM
Definitely on an administrator/super-user account?

Am running FireFox & Mozilla on WXP and both installed seamlessly (although their multi-user support is a little whacked).

Btw, relative to another thread, Wellington does have a Medical School here, an Otago University Campus as I am a card carrying member.

I am doing _a_ medical degree, however not as a Doctor - something a little less rigorous ;)

whiskeytangofoxtrot
12-02-2004, 02:31 AM
> Campus as
> I am a card carrying member.

*of their library... brain deserting me at this hour.

mark.p
12-02-2004, 09:01 AM
Consiracy theory
> anyone?

MS have a known history of this in the past-DRDOS and Win3x and have been found guilty. I beleive it was current SCO owners, The Canopy Group, that took MS to task.

Could be just a glitch.

JVRob
02-03-2004, 04:53 PM
I have found the same problem. I'm using 98SE and loaded Mozilla 1.6 from the March PC World CD. This seemed to install properly but wouldn't load. I then downloaded it from Mozilla.org and installed from that after uninstalling the CD version. This wouldn't load either.

Then I reloaded 98SE and reinstalled Mozilla with the same result. Very frustrating.

mark.p
02-03-2004, 06:51 PM
I've installed Mozilla flawlesly on 3 different OS's RH 8 Linux, Windows 98 and OS/2 v4. Have you tried http://mozilla.org/community/user-forums.html#web-boards
to find a solution?

JVRob
03-03-2004, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the reference. Two other people there with the identical problem but no-one with a solution!!!