PDA

View Full Version : Synchronising notebook and PC

Petermcc
09-02-2004, 07:52 PM
What's the best way to keep Outlook on my PC and new notebook up-to-date with each other? The doesn't seem to be any sort of synchronize function.

And what about documents? What's a good way to ensure that documents created or altered on one computer do the same on the other?

I've managed to network them successfully, and I imported the .pst file into the notebook Outlook.

And finally, is it possible to send email from my notebook Outlook when connected by Wifi to Cafenet, or do I have to use webmail?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Elephant
09-02-2004, 08:28 PM
> What's the best way to keep Outlook on my PC and new
> notebook up-to-date with each other? The doesn't seem
> to be any sort of synchronize function.

What sort of computers are you running?

What operating system is on each?

What version of Outlook ( Office ) are you using?

>
> And what about documents? What's a good way to ensure
> that documents created or altered on one computer do
> the same on the other?
>
> I've managed to network them successfully, and I
> imported the .pst file into the notebook Outlook.
Well that's a good start.
>
> And finally, is it possible to send email from my
> notebook Outlook when connected by Wifi to Cafenet,
> or do I have to use webmail?

Back to what version of outlook and we also need to know server names here. Don't post your Email address. Just post the ISP name or names you use.

I can tell you that it quite possible ( as I have done it ) to synchronise folders if both are running WinXP.

You may be using Linux for all I know and in that case I suggest you try some of our Linux gurus like Jen_C

Welcome to PressF1 and I hope you have a long and happy stay.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Peter

Petermcc
10-02-2004, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the reply.

PC has an Intel Celeron 1.2 GHz CPU, notebook is a new Compaq Presario 2100. Both are running Windows XP Home and Office/Outlook 2000.

All my email is through ihug. I use a 802.11b 54g Belkin wireless notebook network card to connect to cafenet.

Is this what you need? :)

Cheers,

Peter

John H
11-02-2004, 09:33 AM
I would be interested to know the answer to this as well. I use a proggie called Smart Sync Pro to synchronise my computers and back up. There is no problem with synchronising data, but I do have problems synchronising Outlook.

There is provision in SSP to synchronise Outlook files but it does not work. If I try to copy the Outlook files over from one PC to another, there is another error message saying that the file could not be copied because an application has locked a portion of the file. If that can be solved, SSPro would be an answer to your question.

John

Graham L
11-02-2004, 02:15 PM
Would the MS synchronizer help? :D My Briefcase.

There is a MS article about how to use it ... and a tip on how to get it started --- it seems to be not activated by default.

Google will find these with "briefcase windows xp". The first link is the MS article. The third(?) one headed tech_tv tels you hwo to start it.