PDA

View Full Version : flatrate broadband

floyds
09-02-2004, 01:34 PM
just released through telecom....wonder what the hidden cost will be?

256k - 10gig at 40 - 50 dollars

whiskeytangofoxtrot
09-02-2004, 01:40 PM
Press (http://www.telecom-media.co.nz/releases_detail.asp?id=3006&page=1&pagesize=10) Release

Chilling_Silently
09-02-2004, 01:41 PM
Have you got a URL we can have a look at?

I just checked telecom.co.nz, no word of new pricing plans?

There's only 1gig and 500MB @ 256k on their site?

Chill.

Chilling_Silently
09-02-2004, 01:41 PM
Ah.. Thanks wtf :-)

stu140103
09-02-2004, 02:18 PM
Boo hoo!!! :(, it look like we will be staying on Jet Stream Starter

Flat-Rate
With Telecom calling
$69.95!!!!!!!!

csinclair83
09-02-2004, 02:29 PM
i dont understand the broadband plans..
the price includes what? the telecom landline or no? what else?

Chilling_Silently
09-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Are there ISP charges on top of that??

Budda
09-02-2004, 03:08 PM
hmm i dont know i thought this was good. jetstream starter is $39.95 for 15Gb with Orcon + $29.95 Telecom fee =$69.9 so all i would be changing is to a 10Gb limit with double the dl speed, o and most importanly speed limiting for over 10Gb instead of extra charges. Hmmm seems good to me, but im guessing orcon will offer it so i will wait and see what comes out :)

metla
09-02-2004, 03:18 PM
The hidden cost?

Its not hidden.

$49.95 1GB

Add line charge of 20 to 30 bucks and your paying 70 dollars at least for 1 gig.

Still a rip,the unlimited(hey,wait a second,if its got a 10g cap on it how is it unlimited?) would come in at 100 bucks a month,better the before before but they still have a way to go befor they get my business,i would get sky digital rather then pay that amount for internet feed.

juha
09-02-2004, 03:19 PM
The "hidden cost" looks likely to be the fact that you need to shift all your calling to Telecom, otherwise the plans will cost $10/month more. ISP resellers receive $10 per customer per month, with Telecom pocketing the rest. They can't manage their own bandwidth either -- everything has to go through Telecom.

There's no mention of contention rates, traffic shaping policy, etc. Gather only dynamic addressing is available.

Unfortunately, this could mean that many smaller and medium-sized ISPs are squeezed out of the market completely.

--
Juha

PoWa
09-02-2004, 03:21 PM
Sounds good. $40 + $20 isp = $60 = same as woosh. But only 128k upload???? Ahh no worries 256k download is pretty nice ;)

Graham L
09-02-2004, 03:23 PM
Aha. This is the free, competitive, market reducing the cost to the customers. As Usual. ;-)

mark.p
09-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Seems to look like it Graham ;). Don't ya just love free market enterprice....................

csinclair83
09-02-2004, 03:59 PM
found this on xtra.co.nz

Telecom will launch a new range of residential Xtra JetStream plans next month, including a flat-rate broadband plan.

The new plans will start at an entry-level $39.95 per month ($9.22 per week) for customers who have their calling with Telecom. Plans for customers who do not have their calling with Telecom will start at $49.95 per month.

Telecom Head of Internet and Online, Chris Thompson, said the plans will offer download speeds of 256 kb/s, higher download limits and reduced excess megabyte usage charges.

"Effectively for only 40 cents a day more than they would pay for a standard dial-up connection, customers will soon be able to have the speed and convenience of broadband.

"Customers have told us they want greater price certainty on their Xtra Jetstream account each month, and the new flat-rate plan has been designed to provide this.

"We think the flat-rate plan will be particularly popular with families looking for more certainty around their bill each month, without having to constantly monitor the kids' Internet usage," Mr Thompson said.

The entry and mid-level plans provide one and three-gigabyte usage allowances respectively and a reduced excess usage charge of 5 cents per megabyte - compared with the current 20 cents per megabyte on existing plans.

The flat-rate plan provides a ten-gigabyte usage allowance - equivalent to sending around 2 million standard text emails or downloading 2000 four-minute MP3 files a month. Instead of additional charges, a customer's access speed may be reduced once they reach the 10-gigabyte limit.

The three new plans will be available on 8 March 2004 and reinforce Telecom's ongoing commitment to increase the accessibility and take-up of broadband in New Zealand.

"We want to provide New Zealanders with a greater range of affordable broadband options to meet their needs," Mr. Thompson said.

All existing Xtra JetStream customers will be contacted shortly to advise them of the changes and their options. Customers can stay on their current plans or change over to the new plans.

The announcement of the plans is being made as part of the notification to other Internet Service Providers in New Zealand, who will be able to resell these plans to their customers.

csinclair83
09-02-2004, 04:01 PM
sorry guys..had a look at that press thingy wtf posted and it was the same...waste of posting....sorry

Terry Porritt
09-02-2004, 04:25 PM
What it means for existing Paradise users with Telecom calling, on 128k/10GB, is that unless the ISP charge changes, then for the same as you are paying now you could have 256k/1GB.

I would stay with 128k/10GB most probably, but let's see what Paradise offer.

DangerousDave
09-02-2004, 04:58 PM
> let'ssee what Paradise offer.

I agree, i'm refusing to pay more than $60 a month for internet, and honestly, 256 isn't worth that extra $10...

- David

Davesdad
09-02-2004, 05:03 PM
Paradise cable is 256k/10g @ $57 per month incl modem rental if you can get it. Or $86.95 incl phone.

Davesdad

daskip
09-02-2004, 05:46 PM
Hmm yes $20 isp charges when I could be paying $10 at ihug - tempting to move, especially seeming they are owned by iinet now which bodes well for the future (if they get a chance to create a future for themselves, lol).
I'm surprised paradise didn't change this charge when the original (read: awful) 256k plans came out, so I doubt they will this time? Maybe, agree on waiting.... till maybe April.

Still, the whole thing is such a rip on ISPs other than Xtra. They don't even get to provide the bandwidth now, unlike on starter. $10 a month to provide 5 mailboxes and a helpdesk. Poor buggers.

And yet unbundling is not recommended... maybe I should move back to Oz!!!

cyberchuck
09-02-2004, 07:43 PM
> > let'ssee what Paradise offer.

> I agree, i'm refusing to pay more than $60 a month for internet, and honestly, 256 isn't
> worth that extra $10...

I'm not in Paradises coverage zone so that rules me out a bit, however the 2 offers which will probably be the main ones (go with Xtras stuff here):
1 - Current ADSL 128k/128k 5000MB International Cap and 5/MB for every MB over the allowance.
2 - Proposed ADSL 256k/128k 10240MB International Cap (I'd guess? Don't think they've said whether it's 10GB internationally or both) and maybe a slowdown if I go over that.

I know what offer I'd take and for $5 extra a month I'm practically getting double with no "please explains" from the parents at the end of the day.

I'm happy with it - It's not the best offer they could've made and I agree with that, however for what's going at the moment I'm happy to take it and it is a step in the right direction for broadband services - atleast you can say you're on a connection which is classed by Telecom and every other major company out there as broadband (it isn't hard when the commerce commission defines Broadband as speeds which exceed that or narrowband mind you), but in comparison to whats available in my region, I'm happy with it.

I guess the only major problem at the moment is I'm lucky to hit 1000MB/mnth, so yeah...

CyberChuck

segfault
09-02-2004, 08:10 PM
It's probably worth mentioning that the 10gb cap *does* include national traffic, so you're going to go through your cap faster if you use national traffic quite a bit. I use about 4-5gb national traffic and almost 10gb international per month, so there is no way I'm going to Jetstream :)

joe90ak
09-02-2004, 09:33 PM
Sorry guys, when I read this thread I thought it must have been a cruel joke... but no, Telecom have seen the light!

I was on Paradise dial up for years and switched to jetstream 2 months ago (for work you understand!) with 500mb... lasted 2 weeks on that so went to 1g and that's running out fast this month.

Guess I'm lucky being able to afford $79.95 a month (well, the tax dept pays in the end), but even more surprised to see that with 10g 'unlimited' the cost will go down by $10. This doesn't sound like Telecom, but I'm happy :)

Only problem... if the offer comes into effect 8/3 and my billing cycle is over end of feb does that mean I'll have to wait a whole month to use it?

daskip
09-02-2004, 09:54 PM
Keep in mind this is a 256k plan, sounds like you are on jestream full speed... :-)

Growly
09-02-2004, 10:29 PM
MORE.... DOWNLOAD... MORE.... SPEED.... SAME.... PRICE.....

let me get this straight:

For those who call everything with telecom (I.e. me), you pay $69.96 a month, get 10 GB Download Limit, with 256 k / 128 k speeds?

..... Why the hell didn't someone tell me earlier?

Or is there something blatantly obvious i've missed.... come to think of it, game pings would change much (the upload), and runing servers is still out of the question, but when it comes down to it, there are bigger numbers......

daskip
09-02-2004, 11:01 PM
Yup. Got it in one...

They are throwing us a bone with no meat on it.
Just enough to make the stats look good, but not really giving customers what they want (cept the ones desperate enough to accept any scrap) or what they can get overseas.

Chilling_Silently
10-02-2004, 12:28 AM
So $69.95 includes or Excludes ISP fee's?

Im with iHug, currently on 10GB International, unlimited national... I could really do with the extra speed for peak times when Im downloading etc, but 128kbps has the added advantage of unlimited national, which I think I'd use more if I run a Jabber server.

Its a toss-up....

Chill.