PDA

View Full Version : Sectored Hard Drive

Linz53
08-02-2004, 10:41 PM
I have a 120 gig Hard Drive sectored into 3
C: 20gig Y: 50 gig Z: 50 gig..
C Drive is 88% full (mainly programs) and to defrag I need apporox. 15% free.
My question: does it matter which programs I transfer to another sector ? (probably use Y Sector)
And I assume it would mean re-installing said programs to the other sector ?
CHEERS L

Chilling_Silently
08-02-2004, 10:47 PM
First of all, we'll get the terminology sorted:
Partitions... :-)

Next, some apps can simply be moved and have their shortcuts updated, others will have Registry entries that look to the specific location.

Un-install Office per-say, and re-install it on another drive. Do the same with any other applcations, it saves headaches.

You could disable System Restore to gain some space.

Aside from that, you dont _need_ to have 15% free, its just a number that MS picked.

Hope this helps

Chill.

metla
08-02-2004, 10:51 PM
defrag will refuse to run if it doesnt have the desired amount of free space to work with.

And while im on the subject,its a good idea to disable the swap file before a defrag otherwise this area stays fragmented and contributs to slow downs when the system has to access it,or in the cases of xp all the time seeing as it loves to make use of the swap file..

Make sure you enable the swapfile after the defrag.

Linz53
09-02-2004, 06:38 AM
Yeah "partitioned" (thanks, its been a long weekend!)
Now Metla, where does one find the "swap file" and why does XP like it so much ? Incidentally I have been running XP for around 6 months without any hiccups, using some rather large graphics files too...
Cheers L.

metla
09-02-2004, 09:48 AM
XP likes to use the swap file in order to leave the ram free to be used by applications/programs.

Thats my understanding of it anyway,theres been a fair amount of debate about the constant use of the swapfile by xp,Most will find that on boot up xp can be using up to 120mb of it,removing services to cab drop it down to 80 or so,In my experience shutting down services doesn't speeed up windows in the slightest,see as all it does is free up a small pertion of the swap file rather then real resources...

Meh....rambling again.

To disable your swap file right click the My computer icon>properties>advanced>advanced>then under virtual memory click change>then click no paging file.

reboot and run defrag.

reboot again,

enable swap file.

tweak\'e
09-02-2004, 03:52 PM
the swap file/defrag tip works well with all windows os's except please make sure you have enough ram. low memory systems may find themselves not being able to boot. if that happens boot into safe mode and enable swapfile.

Linz53
09-02-2004, 08:29 PM
Thanks for your help people ~
Linz53

Megaman
09-02-2004, 08:47 PM
> the swap file/defrag tip works well with all windows
> os's except please make sure you have enough ram. low
> memory systems may find themselves not being able to
> boot. if that happens boot into safe mode and enable
> swapfile.

128mb enuf?

ive been meaning to defrag my C:drive (9gb) but only has 700mb free but now i know it doesn't matter