PDA

View Full Version : very very slow

morriss-i
08-02-2004, 05:17 PM
I have defraged,emptyed temp internet files.scaned everything and my puters running very slow . All l know about the puter is l am running windows 95 98 please help morriss-i

drcspy
08-02-2004, 05:28 PM
download 'adaware' from www.lavasoft.com and run it .........betcha you got full of spyware that's cloggin up your system

tweak\'e
08-02-2004, 05:52 PM
scanned with what? is your antivirus upto date?

whiskeytangofoxtrot
09-02-2004, 12:05 AM
Well running "Windows 95 98" is probably part of the problem. Generally only best to run the one OS at a time.

Perhaps some more detailed and appropriate information would be required.

I mean if it's a 486 DX2-33 with 16 MB of RAM it'll run slow regardless of what you do to it.

kiwibeat
10-02-2004, 01:50 AM
try running spybot and washandgo or windowwasher

R2x1
10-02-2004, 12:08 PM
Welcome to W95 - 98 !
Usually, a re-install of the OS is rather dramatic in it's effect on the speed of these systems. They seem to collect a lot of garbage in their travels. (And you have everything backed up haven't you ? :-)

Graham L
10-02-2004, 04:06 PM
W95 needs to be reinstalled every so often. W98 is probably the same.

It shouldn't lose any settings or files, though you will need to put in the patches again.

R2x1
10-02-2004, 04:14 PM
W95 should be re-installed once a month if it is worked at all hard, Win 98 once a week for severe service. Wonder why people like Linux ?

metla
10-02-2004, 04:22 PM
Thats just stupid.

R2x1
10-02-2004, 04:25 PM
True - but people bought W95 -98 in droves. :-) TV advertising ?

(If you had 1c for every time win slowed down yo'ld be the richest person on the planet !)

metla
10-02-2004, 04:29 PM
I meant your post was stupid.

R2x1
10-02-2004, 04:30 PM
Another cause, probably too obvious to mention ;- if disk space gets tight and the swap file is restricted, the slow down is pretty dramatic.

R2x1
10-02-2004, 04:32 PM
stupid people make stupid posts, mea culpa. :8}

metla
10-02-2004, 04:49 PM
Meh.....You won't take my crown.

kiwibeat
13-02-2004, 02:30 PM
add more ram if you have only 128 megs or less use regcleaner and fix-it or norton utils reinstall as a last resort

Billy T
13-02-2004, 05:00 PM
> W95 should be re-installed once a month if it is
> worked at all hard,

>Win 98 once a week for severe service.

What a load of old rope. I have a W95 installation still working very well that has never been reinstalled, ever.

I have a W98 installation that is used all day every day and has been in constant use since pre-1999 without reinstallation. Good housekeeping and staying away from warez, cracks, shonky software and questionable sites makes for reliable computing, not reinstallation of operating systems.

My main W2k installation has been in use for around 3 years without reinstallation too and it still works like a new one. It was reloaded from a ghost image once after faulty RAM corrupted the existing installation, but since the ghost image was made only few days before the RAM failure and took over where the old install left off, I reckon I can still claim it as the same installation.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|
Owning computers is not unlike owning cars: bad user
habits and inappropriate activities bugger them both.

Graham L
13-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Well done Billy. Unfortunately, not all of us have such perfect records.

It has been the experience of many people that W95 benefited from a reinstallation from time to time. I would not recommend once a month, or any other period. My rule is to leave well alone. But when problems arise, reinstalling the OS (without a format) is a non-destructive step after obvious checks don't show an obvious cause. It won't do any harm. W95 is a can of worms.

Have you a suggestion other than "What a good boy I am"?

mark.p
13-02-2004, 06:35 PM
Windows 95B (running Fat32 on a 512meg hdd) has done stirlling service for my mother-in-law for the past 4 years or so. Only prob was when MSM messenger went
west when MS changed their messenging protocol.

Billy T
13-02-2004, 09:11 PM
No Graham, the message is not "what a good boy I am," the message is: treat your computer with respect, carry out regular housekeeping, and don't jump into reformatting as a panacea for ills that could have been prevented; or fixed with a little bit of effort.

I am no expert on computers, but I have a logical mind and the wit and will to use resources that can help me. If I want to stray down dangerous paths I make sure I know the way back (or out).

Reformatting and setting up programs all over again is such a waste of time and energy. Of course, as I have already confessed :8}, I use Ghost to deal with anything that might take too long to fix. I posted to that effect a day or so ago on my NAV live-update problem, where fixing a curly problem was going to be too time consuming.

Cheers

Mzee
13-02-2004, 11:12 PM
With Windows XP after being on the Internet with Jetstart via adsl Router the computer gets very sluggish. Disabling the Ethernet Port or switching off the Router fixes it.
Doesn't do it on Windows NT4 on the same machine.
As for reliability I have an old 150mhtz computer running W95 operating a till. It ran for 3 years before it finally became unstable. It was overheating and was full of bird seed! (pet shop).

If you keep your registry clean, kill all spyware & keep anti virus & Fire Wall up to date, all the Windows systems are reliable. NT4 and XP are rock solid.

R2x1
14-02-2004, 11:56 AM
Two friends bought identical VW beetles, "A" had it serviced regularly, and it gave 150,000 miles of reliable service, he is still using it. "B" had service at identical mileages and at the same garage. His car was most unsatisfactory, high fuel use, engine replaced at 35,00 miles, again at 57,000 with gearbox too. It can't have been "B's" trailer, he always kept it warranted and registered, overload permit strictly observed etc. His towball wore out regularly as well. I guess there is just a bad car sneaks through the system occasionaly :-)

Sorry, but industrial use should have industrial solutions.
(and I still use W3.11 on one box . . . )
R2

> > W95 should be re-installed once a month if it is
> > worked at all hard,
>
> >Win 98 once a week for severe service.
>
> What a load of old rope. I have a W95 installation
> still working very well that has never been
> reinstalled, ever.
>
> I have a W98 installation that is used all day every
> day and has been in constant use since pre-1999
> without reinstallation. Good housekeeping and
> staying away from warez, cracks, shonky software and
> questionable sites makes for reliable computing, not
> reinstallation of operating systems.
>
> My main W2k installation has been in use for around 3
> years without reinstallation too and it still works
> like a new one. It was reloaded from a ghost image
> once after faulty RAM corrupted the existing
> installation, but since the ghost image was made only
> few days before the RAM failure and took over where
> the old install left off, I reckon I can still claim
> it as the same installation.
>
> Cheers
>
> Billy 8-{) :|
> Owning computers is not unlike owning cars:
> bad user
> habits and inappropriate activities bugger them
> both.
>

buzzybee
14-02-2004, 02:15 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned all the rubbish that gets put into your start-up file!
I have fixed several computers (including my own) that had exactly the same problem..... slow...slow!
During installation, a lot of programs plonk a 'quik start' file into start-up, more often than not without your knowing or consent. These files get loaded into memory at boot-up and hover there until you need it, using precious resources.
Thing is, you don't need most of them there as all these files are accessible through your Start/programs.
To get rid of them click Start-run, type msconfig, ok. Then click on the Startup tab. untick all but the necessary ones i.e. virus protection, zoneAlarm, firewall and especially System Tray! Save and reboot.
If you run into problems after that, boot in safe mode and run msconfig again, reticking ones you weren't sure of, save and reboot again.
My friend had about 20 unnecessary files loaded at boot and the comp ran like a snail with a sore foot. Afterward, it ran like a fox with his tail on fire!
Buzz

metla
14-02-2004, 03:03 PM
win95 doesnt have msconfig.

You either have to edit the reg or copy msconfig from a later os into the correct directory.

Billy T
14-02-2004, 05:05 PM
> Two friends bought identical VW beetles, "A" had it
> serviced regularly, and it gave 150,000 miles of
> reliable service, he is still using it. "B" had
> service at identical mileages and at the same garage.
> His car was most unsatisfactory, high fuel use,
> engine replaced at 35,00 miles, again at 57,000 with
> gearbox too. It can't have been "B's" trailer, he
> always kept it warranted and registered, overload
> permit strictly observed etc. His towball wore out
> regularly as well. I guess there is just a bad car
> sneaks through the system occasionaly :-)

I understand the parable R2, but it isn't really applicable, in that your tale is about light use vs heavy use, or normal usage vs constant overloadiing. Another view might be the conservative driver vs the leadfooted hoon. Nothing was wrong with either vehicle but the nuts behind the wheel were different. Close-ish, but no cigar.

Reminds me of the old adage: It doesn't matter what condition your car is in, if you drive fast enough it will last you the rest of your life!

Anyway, reverting to computers, regular maintenance and not inflicting unknown or shonky programming on your box makes for long reliable life from your OS.

That's all I was ever saying and that's all I'm saying now. It works for me.

Cheers