PDA

View Full Version : Lost CD drives

Xamt
06-02-2004, 07:12 AM
My aging Pentium III 450 has suddenly decided that I have no Zip100, Infra60oo or HP 9100 drives attached to Windows 98. They appear in the Bios as normal but Windows fails to recognise the fact. I can read CD or Zip directories from DOS but can't activate any of them. I would be grateful for any help in persuading Windows to do the decent thing and recognise its junior partners.

Megaman
06-02-2004, 08:35 AM
do you still have the floppy?

try re installing the drivers

Xamt
06-02-2004, 10:37 AM
Thankyou Megaman for your reply. Yes I still do have a floppy. Yes I have tried reloading my drivers. No I still haven't a C D writer, a CD Player or a Zip drive. Yes I have tried swearing !!

Megaman
06-02-2004, 10:52 AM
hmmm... is it networked to another computer? or is there another computer around with a network card? i would recommend re installing windows after doing a full backup, however with no cd writer this could be hard :p

even if you don't have another computer, you could "borrow" a mates laptop or something. even a desktop if you're desperate

Xamt
06-02-2004, 11:02 AM
Thanks again Megaman. As is obvious I am trying not to do what appears to be obvious ie reformat the disk drive and start again but I'm inclined to agree with youn that point. No, no networking cobbers around but my thanks for your effort.

kiwibeat
06-02-2004, 08:00 PM
try deleting all driver for missing items in start then control then system then device manager then do a reboot and hope that all will be auto detected .
helps if you can unplug all items as well to clear the sytem completely usually takes a few reboots this is a common problem especially if you add on new HDD etc .

Xamt
07-02-2004, 05:40 PM
Thankyou Kiwibeat for your suggestion. Unfortunately Windows doesn't recognise my CD and Zip drives even though they appear in Bios! Hence the device manager doesn't include Cd or Zip drives or their drivers in its lists. To add to the fun the sweet little computer now won't boot into anything but Safe Mode and quietly seizes at 86% when I try to defrag it. The dreaded reformat and start again draws closer but I'd love to fix the problem without it!!

jayal
07-02-2004, 08:44 PM
delete "NoIDE" from the registry - Win98 has a habit of not recognising CD drives for no reason (bloodymindedness??)

F3 = search

kiwibeat
12-02-2004, 01:52 PM
try d/loading the latest Aspi drivers

http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~aa571/aspi.htm

kiwibeat
12-02-2004, 01:54 PM
also check the cable connections havent worked loose that happened to me 2x lost all traces of my HDDs etc gave me a real scare

Graham L
12-02-2004, 02:07 PM
I think it would probably pay to reinstall W98. I'm sure it's like W95 and the bits get tired. :D The fact that it only boots in Safe mode means there's something wrong. Something more serious than just missing peripherals. :D

Just do a reinstall -- that leaves all your files alone.

barco
12-02-2004, 02:31 PM
I've also checked my HDD for viruses by unplugging it and adding it as a secondary drive on another machine that has an updated AV checker on it. Try this too, before going down the FORMAT path. I've seen viruses do some strange things on PC's before. Good luck.

kiwibeat
13-02-2004, 07:27 AM
You may have to do a clean reinstall once this is up and running try to do a backup image of your C: drive using Ghost or Drive Image so that you wont have to go through the hassle again its saved my PC about 30x so far over 1 year as I like to experiment with new programs and over tweak things .
there is a program called letter assigner out there as well may help you but the latest aspi drivers are essential especially for burning software etc

PeebZ
13-02-2004, 09:16 AM
Agree is is time to action an reinstall of Win98.

I have seen missing optical drives in Win98 before and this is caused by driver conflicts. I.e Easy CD creator 5 and Windows Media player 7.
Normally we would want to find out what you have installed recently, and fully uninstall it, but Win98 not booting in normal mode says "I need a reinstall".

@ kiwibeat
Quick note on ASPI drivers. If you Dont need them dont install them. They are just an added buggy program. Any good Cd writing program (CopytoDVD, Nero, CloneCD, alcohol120% will have their own supported ASPI type drivers