PDA

View Full Version : How to shrink a jpj file?

paradox
04-02-2004, 10:19 PM
Most of my jpg files are around 100MB but the photo files on the cd from the lab turn out to be around 500MB. I can view these ok in full screen mode but the problem is the time it takes to e-mail them to family.
Even one file takes several minutes. Is the a way to covert them to smaller pictures/files? Thanks for any help on this. Ken.

paradox
04-02-2004, 10:22 PM
Oh boy !!!! Subject should have been jpg, not jpj.....

gerrypics
04-02-2004, 10:30 PM
Most photo editing programs can do this. If you do not have one download irfanview (Google) and someone here will talk you through it.

PressF1 User
04-02-2004, 10:31 PM
You can resize your pictures using a free program such as Irfanview - this is an excellent and easy to use program. Simply open a picture and resize it from the menu options. If you want to do a whole stack of pics in one go then use the batch / conversion and then go into advanced options to set your new size that you want. The program is available from here:
http://www.irfanview.com/

beama
04-02-2004, 10:34 PM
simply open the image in the program metioned above goto save as select file type of jpg click on the option s button and move the silder. this actually compresses the pixels which canont be undone so change the file name so you can go back to the orignal

Jester
04-02-2004, 10:47 PM
>>Most of my jpg files are around 100MB but the photo files on the cd from the lab turn out to be around 500MB. I can view these ok in full screen mode but the problem is the time it takes to e-mail them to family.

I hope you dont really mean 500mb .... please don't email me any of those pics!!

J
:D

paradox
04-02-2004, 11:01 PM
Oh boy....Yes, the files are KBs not MBs.
Thanks for all the answers. I think it's time I went to bed. Goodnight...Ken.

grinch
04-02-2004, 11:48 PM
emailing usually requires quite a small attachment size for speedy downloads, especially if sending more than one at a time. How many files of what size are you trying to send?

Commonly used image viewing/manipulation programs (say MS Photo Editor, or "Gimp") allow changing the picture size and jpg compression setting. Reducing pictures down to 640x480 or even smaller, with a compression ratio of 60-75%, can produce really compact pictures that are still quite viewable. Having a play with picture size and compression settings, and then viewing the results should allow finding an acceptable compromise. good luck :-)

grinch
05-02-2004, 12:00 AM
ahh, and as mentioned in a previous post, choose "save as" a new file name each time to keep the original.... I've lost a few forgetting to do that!

Robby
05-02-2004, 07:53 AM
gidday,

a small free program called pixsizer is on this web site
http://bluefive.pair.com/ does the job nively without altering the
original.

cheers,

Robby

Trev O
05-02-2004, 03:32 PM
Or if you're using XP click once on the pic (or ctl pics) and then on the left hand pane in 'file and folder tasks', choose 'E-Mail this file' then 'make my pic smaller'