PDA

View Full Version : dail up connect automatically

Robby
04-02-2004, 04:31 PM
hi folks,

A freind has recently aquired a pc with Me, and would like it to dail up automatically when opening explorer, favorites etc. However it asks for the password each time, she tries to connect.

the option to save password, is greyed out, and the dot in internet options, connections, is in 'always dail my default connections.'

any ideas?

Cheers,

Robby

Pheonix
04-02-2004, 05:04 PM
Open up IE, go tools-Internet options-connections and highlight the dial-up connection. Now choose settings and fill the name/password in the spaces provided.

Jim B
04-02-2004, 06:16 PM
See if Client for Microsoft Network is listed as one of the installed components in the Configuration tab of Control Panel/Network. If it is not listed you must install it using the following steps

:

1. Click the ADD button

2. Highlight Client and click on Add.

3. Highlight Microsoft in the left pane and Client for Microsoft Networks in the right pane.

4. Click on OK.

If the above four steps do not correct the problem, browse to the following registry key using
regedit: (WARNING: Backup the registry before proceeding!)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Network\Real Mode Net

If a value named "AutoLogon" exists:

1. Highlight it using your mouse.

2. Then press the delete key on your keyboard.

3. Exit regedit.

4. Restart Windows.

Fire-and-Ice
04-02-2004, 07:57 PM
I would respectfully sugest that it be left the way it is so that your freind needs to log on to the internet. This will prevent any nasties that might find their way onto the computer from dialling out by themselves and thus possibly incurring expensive internet charges. You could could fix it so that the password is saved each time but with the actual connection needing to be manually initiated. ;-)

Robby
05-02-2004, 08:01 AM
many thanks for your help,

cheers,

Robby

Pheonix
05-02-2004, 08:38 AM
Any diallers that may end up on a PC that incur charges won't be going through your ISP connection, so name/password doesn't matter. The diallers go to their own chargable number. Nasty little beggers.
Hope the info helps.