PDA

View Full Version : 256MB as 128MB Ram

Daniel-2
04-02-2004, 04:04 PM
I have just purchased 256mb DIMM ram (133mhz)... when I have it in by itself, it only works as 128mb (bios test and in computer properties). When I have both the new 256mb one and the old 128mb, it comes to 256mb (actually 261)

I just found on their site: http://www.kingston.com/support/install/valueram/pc133view.asp - it has the "Please note" paragraph which sounds like my problem... can someone fill me in here?

If that is the case I dont really see a need to return it, I can just sell it when I get my new system...

Megaman
04-02-2004, 04:13 PM
Quote from the site

Please Note: If only a portion of the Kingston PC133 memory is recognized, your system may be incompatible with this particular memory technology. Your computer may have an older chipset that is unable to read the PC133 module properly. The PC133 module uses memory chips that have a density of 256mbits per chip. Some older computer systems are only equipped to read up to 128mbits per chip.

The most common manifestation of this problem is when the computer only recognizes one half of the new memory. If you encounter this problem you will need to return the memory to the place of purchase for a refund or an exchange. To find a Kingston memory module appropriate for your system, please go to our Kingston Branded Memory Configurator.

ie: your computer may be a model not compatible. return it for a refund

drcspy
04-02-2004, 04:34 PM
yeh you need 'double sided' for the system to fully recognize it ........

Billy T
04-02-2004, 08:30 PM
To make things absolutely clear, "double-sided" means memory chips on both sides of the RAM stick (usually 4 each side) while single sided means memory chips on only one side of the stick.

Older motherboards can sometimes read single sided RAM sticks if they were made during the technology transition, but they usually need double-sided RAM.

Modern boards use single sided but may be compatible with double sided. It can be a movable feast, so as always, it is best to check the MB manual.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

tweak\'e
04-02-2004, 08:42 PM
just to ad........

check motherboard can handle that amount of ram per slot. some older and brand name boards can max out very easly.

there is also high desity modules which basicly means the ram stick can have 4 chips on the side instead of 8. while these are often cheaper they may not work at all on some earlier motherboards.