PDA

View Full Version : Win2k throwning hissyfit after upgrade

smashedlittlebugger
03-02-2004, 08:15 PM
I just upgraded my motherboard. Windows says something about boot device and tells me to run chkdsk.exe from /F after the VGA logo screen. Safe mode doesnt do anything helpful. I am running a bootloader with redhat on hdb. Is there a way I can fix this using linux? or using some boot disks?

Cheers
John

mark.p
03-02-2004, 08:39 PM
You'll probably need to install the appropriate drivers for your mobo which can be done in safe mode.

smashedlittlebugger
03-02-2004, 08:46 PM
yea, but how do i do that?

the error message is as follows

0x0000007B (0xEB81B84C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
blah blah blah...
then tells me to run CHKDSK.exe from /F as i already told you.

if thats any help.

John

mikebartnz
03-02-2004, 09:09 PM
In future before upgrading any hardware always remove from device manager any item that you are about to upgrade. It is having trouble booting because the IDE interface has changed and it is still trying to use the old one. It is interesting that Kudzu in linux had no problems with the change.
You could try the recovery console ( boot off the CD) and use fixmbr or another command that I can't recall. You can get a list and help on all the commands within the recovery console. Make sure you have a linux boot disk just in case.

tweak\'e
03-02-2004, 09:11 PM
with motherboards swaps its best to do a full format reinstall. most of the time you can clean the drivers out and load the new ones and it works fine. i hsve no idea how well linux copes.

check the hardrive setting in the bios. make sure its reconnised the hardrive correctly.

mark.p
04-02-2004, 08:15 AM
It appears linux has coped with the mobo change quite admirably.
Any progress with w2k?

smashedlittlebugger
04-02-2004, 05:35 PM
I reverted back to my old mobo (for the time being) to sort things out. I have come to the conclusion that the IDE controller drivers are not installed. I have located them on the CD but the setup program doesn't seem to do anything but I have located the individual driver files, How do I install 'em? I can't do it through hardware manager (I think) and can't remember how to do it from a command line.

A reformat/reinstall is out of the question because i have a few HUGE files (1gb+) on my HDD's and the last time I did an install over the top of win2k it totally stuffed up and I had to loose a lot of data.

Cheers
John

smashedlittlebugger
06-02-2004, 11:19 AM
I removed the IDE controllers from windows under device manager and restarted, installed the new mobo and gpu (under PCI, no AGP, don't ask why), started windows and I'm still getting the same message. I haven't reinstalled the old mobo as I am typing this from linux :D. This is just one of the reasons I recommend linux.