PDA

View Full Version : Start menu names

csinclair83
03-02-2004, 02:27 PM
In start menu, at the top it says OWNER, i wanna change that to actually say my name or something else i write...
I know its related to setting up winxp for the first time when u enter your name etc, but i didnt realise it was actually gonna show...

is there a method i can use to change it?

Cheers

using winxp home :-)

beetle
03-02-2004, 02:31 PM
Is this where you have a icon / pic and account details come up when you click on it?
You can change it through there cant you???
is this as clear as mud???

beetle

csinclair83
03-02-2004, 02:34 PM
that wasnt actually clear but it seemed to have turned a switch on coz i knew what u were actually trying to say :-)

thanks beetle

beetle
03-02-2004, 02:43 PM
:8}

early to bed tonight then huh??? cos i think im speaking more dribble than i really need to today, a very stressful day here today so brain is as clears as the mud round here.

glad of some assistance though :D

beetle

PoWa
03-02-2004, 02:54 PM
Beetle's on the right track. You could make a new user and that would fix it probably. You could always copy your settings etc over to the new profile so you wouldn't lose much.

Otherwise if you've got XP Pro (maybe home does it) you can rename the user account by right clicking on My Computer and selecting 'manage'.

csinclair83
03-02-2004, 02:58 PM
just go to control panel, click user accounts...pick task of change a account then click the account u wanna change then click change name...

thats what i did and worked without a problem :-)

J ZEP
03-02-2004, 07:28 PM
Hi Chris, there is one small by-affect that is supposedly by design in xp, i ran into this last year when changing account names on my godsons puter. Basically if you change your user name in "User Accounts tool in Control Panel" - it will change the user name in the start menu as you wanted - however it won't change the name in the folders under the "Documents and Settings" folder and the names that are listed in Task Manager show the "actual" account name. So it could get a bit confusing later on with the doc & settings folder showing diff. names etc...
Anyway theres some info.
Here at the K.Base (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283111)
Basically in in Windows XP Home Edition, you cannot change the actual name of a user account, only the name that is displayed on the Welcome screen.

Hope that makes sense, thought i would mention it in case you ran into this later and wondered what was up...

csinclair83
03-02-2004, 07:31 PM
ahh thanks for telling me yea but i wont be worried coz i'm the only user to use this laptop and yeah...
i just wanted to change it so the start menu looked better hehe