PDA

View Full Version : oct 2002 PCWcd knoppix, no display after boot

Jacob4165
02-02-2004, 05:15 PM
I managed to get knoppix running on a p133 with 64 megs of ram and a 1 gig hdd a very slow but otherwise everything was fine. Now when I try in a newer computer (amd xp1800 256 ram 30 gig hdd primary agp graphics card geforce 4 se 8x agp 52x24x52cdw 16xdvd) I see the boot screen which tells me to press enter and then the screen goes blank (not power saving mode) there is no response the cd drive light/hdd light aren't flashing and I must reset the computer. The same thing happens if I use the onboard video card or a pci video card previously used to run knoppix from the p133. Does anyone know what the problem might be.

thanks -Jacob

MrBeef
02-02-2004, 05:17 PM
Have you set the bios to boot the cd-rom first?

I just got LindowsOS 4.0 and i had to put the cd-rom as the first in the boot order in order for it to load from the cd.

Chilling_Silently
02-02-2004, 05:20 PM
There is a failsafe mode you can choose which doesnt detect certain things, such as Firewire cards (Which didnt have all that great linux support until 2.6), and a range of other things.

IIRC, Press F2 and it'll give you a list of things you can try :-)

Jacob4165
02-02-2004, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the reply MrBeef, I don't need to set the bios to boot from cdrom as it lets me press f8 and then select my boot device. I reach the graphical knoppix boot screen "press enter to boot" "press F1 for advanced options" whether I try some of the advanced options or just press enter to boot the same thing happens after I start the boot process there is a message something like ".... loading vmlinux" then the screen goes blank

Jacob

Chilling_Silently
02-02-2004, 05:47 PM
What happens if you specific other options to do with your screen resolution?

MrBeef
02-02-2004, 06:46 PM
oh ok. Is the cd corrupt?

Graham L
03-02-2004, 01:27 PM
Probably the CD is OK. It's just that it is impossible to have drivers for all the hardware ever made, or hardware not built "yet" on one CD.

The first start of the boot process uses a "fits all" VGA driver. After that, it tries to use whatever hardware is there. It obviously can't handle your video controller. So try the video options to the "boot: " prompt, until you find one that works.

Jacob4165
03-02-2004, 05:42 PM
(quote) [i] It obviously can't handle your video controller.[/i I tried the pci video card that was in my old computer and that ran fine, I know th video card is working properly, I'm using the same video options that I used to run knoppix on my old pc

-Jacob