PDA

View Full Version : Linux systems that run off CD

MrBeef
01-02-2004, 09:37 PM
Hi, i am really curious about Linux and my mate from school apparently have some he reckons will run off the cd. I know some will run from CD and use the RAM.

Which ones exactly do you run off the CD and ram/hdd, He says he's got Lindows that does.

Cheers

JohnD
01-02-2004, 09:46 PM
Knoppix is one distribution that runs of the CD. There was a copy on the October 2002 PCW CD.

MrBeef
01-02-2004, 09:52 PM
Ack! I didnt get that one. I ve got most of them throughout 2002 but for some reason i didnt get that one.

But what other ones are there?

Dolby Digital
01-02-2004, 09:58 PM
Aussie APC (Oct 2003 I think) had Lindows which runs off cd on it. You apparently can use a usb storage device to store documents on.

Yes, Knoppix is another, and the latest version (3.3 I think) will install to your hard disk if you like what you see.

There is Mandrake Move which I haven't tried and a SUSE version. Both these where on recent British Linux magazines.

Chilling_Silently
01-02-2004, 09:58 PM
Knoppix
Damn Small Linux
Slackware-Live
PC-Linux OS
Mandrake Move
Adios Linux
Gentoo-U2k3 Live-Demo
Cool Linux
Mepis
And if you're really adventurous you can make your own!

There's others out there too... Try Distrowatch.com, they have a section there on Live-CD's.

I would probably recommend Knoppix or PC-Linux OS if you have JetStream Starter.

If you're on Dial-Up, grab Slackware Live, as its only 250MB!

Hope this helps

Chill.

MrBeef
02-02-2004, 06:24 AM
well, ill wait till what my mate brings and try his stuff out. But untill i get another HDD i am not going to install Linux persay

flyer590
02-02-2004, 08:02 AM
LindowsLive!, the LindowsOS that runs from a CD can be found on P2P networks - and it is completely legal. Check out http://www.lindows.com/p2p for more info.

MrBeef
02-02-2004, 03:23 PM
Hi there, i am running LindowsOS4.0 from a APC cd my mate gave me, seems pretty cool. Wish my mouse wasn't being so gay it would be better (it keeps lockin up the on the rollers)

And if my cd-rom was faster :P its only 4x

For now it seems all good, well when i get a another HDD i will diffenately use Linux as a seconary OS