PDA

View Full Version : Win ME Word prob??

Berryb
01-02-2004, 02:57 PM
Hi all
Have a Win Me PC to check out for a friend that reports word files are not present when trying to open them. Error message is "file cannot be found, please use the search command to find the file" or to that affect. The files are in a folder and show to be there. This prob has been since before Xmas so it's not just a reboot required. Anyone got any ideas before I go and spend half the night trying to work out what it is. I know my way around computers so tech talk is not a prob.
Cheers

tommy
01-02-2004, 03:10 PM
Are you trying to open the Word docs from within Word or from Windows Explorer? You could try renaming Word's normal.dot file to normal.old while Word is not running and see if that helps.

Berryb
01-02-2004, 06:31 PM
OK I have been to look at the PC. Something I should have done first before posting. The prob is the Windows Office Installer is trying and completing the install every time an Office program is starting. Can open all office files as long as it is via the main program icon under Programs from the start menu. If tried to open via the Open Office Document or Explorer then the error occurs but the Installer tries to run and crashes. The Office installer is running every time an Office program is started instead of the usual once and never see it again. Any ideas besides uninstalling and reinstall??
Cheers

Mike
01-02-2004, 06:38 PM
> Any ideas besides uninstalling and reinstall??

Most versions of Office have an option to "Repair Installation" or similar - start the Office install via Add/Remove programs, and choose the repair option.

If that doesn't work, I'd go for a complete uninstall/restart/reinstall of Office (not the whole of Windows). It shouldn't take too long.

Mike.

tommy
01-02-2004, 06:40 PM
If you go to Add/Remove Programs, Office you should be able to do a Repair from there. Or alternatively reinstall Office.

Berryb
02-02-2004, 08:00 AM
Thanks. The repair option fails with an eror message so a reinstall will have to do.

parry
02-02-2004, 09:11 AM
If your going to reinstall I suggest a full uninstall, reboot, then install. As an alternative there may be a switch against the winword.exe in the file association which is causing reinstall to occur.

1. Select Start|Settings|Control Panel|Folder Options or open Windows Explorer & select Tools|Folder Options.
2. Select the File Types tab and select the DOC registered file type
3. Click the Advanced button
4. Click the Open action then click the Edit button
5. Write down the details and post back.

My details are:-
Application used to perform action: "C:\OfficeXP\Office10\WINWORD.EXE" /n /dde
Use DDE checkbox is ticked
DDE Message: [REM _DDE_Direct][FileOpen("%1")]
Application: WinWord
Topic: System

The switches /n and /dde mean something in the context of how the application starts so if you have something different this may be causing a reinstall to occur.