PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to buy norton anti virus every year??

heath
30-01-2004, 06:25 PM
Do i have to buy the anti-virus program every year??
It wants me to register.

How about turning my computers time backwards then updating.
Or, how about reinstalling norton every time it expires??

mikebartnz
30-01-2004, 06:41 PM
No you could use AVG

Murray P
30-01-2004, 06:59 PM
Doesn't work Ted although the re-installation trick did a few years back, so they say.

You should only have to purchase (subscribe to) the virus and program updates until such time that Symantic deem the software to be obsolete and stop supporting it which, should be stated somewhere on the box or at their site.

Cheers Murray P

drcspy
30-01-2004, 07:29 PM
dont buy norton it's problematic and weighs a ton on your system........can be VERY difficult to install/uninstall...........

45South
30-01-2004, 07:53 PM
You don't have to buy the whole product every year but you do have to pay for another years "subscription" every year.
From memory about $90, but could be wrong on the cost
New machines with Nortons on them will probably only have a 3 month subscription with them, so you will be buying a years subscription shortly after buying your new computer (sucks that does)

You would be better off buying the pro version of AVG, an excellent product, & used in conjunction with spybot (and some common sense) will give you as much protection as you should need

dumdum
30-01-2004, 08:07 PM
You couldn`t pay me to have Nortons on my machine.
Getting rid of it was the best thing I did,and that was no mean feat.
For the money you pay,there are far better,user friendly products than Nortons.
IMO anyway

DD

tbacon_nz
30-01-2004, 08:32 PM
No comments about Norton performance etc (although it seems to work for me), but to put the record straight, when I bought it it had 12 months subscription, and a renewal last Nov cost me NZ$36

Tony Bacon

Oxie
30-01-2004, 10:07 PM
Heath

Sub-scription renewal as of a couple of weeks ago was $44.99 for 12 months.

Oxie (Lyn)

Growly
30-01-2004, 10:26 PM
Bah, i bought the educational version of Norton Anti Virus 2002 last year, for $39.95, and it works on reinstall, just like new.

tweak\'e
30-01-2004, 10:30 PM
just to ad the subs cost is different depending on which ver you have eg oem or full ver.

beama
30-01-2004, 10:32 PM
my vote, AVG, hasn't let me down this week (of mydoom :)). But the same can be for E-Trust Anti- Virus, the diffence one is free to home users (AVG)

TonyF
30-01-2004, 10:40 PM
> Do i have to buy the anti-virus program every year??
> It wants me to register.
>
> How about turning my computers time backwards then
> updating.
> Or, how about reinstalling norton every time it
> expires??
There seem to be crafty ways of fiddling this , like setting your PC months ahead on install. Prog choice may depend on how well you regard the backup antivirus support, which is what counts. The big players put much work into updates, which is what seems to matter these days.

JJJJJ
31-01-2004, 06:05 AM
Murray P has given you the correct answer.
A couple of further comments. Nortons is the best value product you will ever install on your computer. Just think of the lost time and money if even one virus takes over your box. Just think of the friends you will lose if you unwittingly pass on a virus.
Ignore all the cheapskates who keep reccomending other options. Some of them may work or half work. But can you be sure ???
Jack

Trev O
31-01-2004, 07:09 AM
>Getting rid of it was the best thing I did

I've got to agree with that (well, I may have done better things!)...anyway, downloading Norton's/symantics updates was an absolute goof around, with all those dropped downloads, compared to AVG, which goes through easily every-time while still keeping virus's away.

SKT174
31-01-2004, 09:44 AM
Format the PC and reinstall Norton and you will get a year free of subcription again... I tend to format my PC every 6 months or under a year anway, so my Norton subcription never runs out :P

Trev O
31-01-2004, 12:36 PM
deleting synaptics folders in documents and settings is easier, but the update downloads get bigger and bigger each time

Mzee
31-01-2004, 06:20 PM
Turn off automatic update.
Down load an update file from symantec.
Set you computer date back one year.
Run the "Intelligent" update file.
Set computer date forward again.

Bob's your Aunt :)

eef2
31-01-2004, 08:43 PM
Or, Buy "Fix-It", and get free updates here: http://www.v-com.com/virusinfo/index.php3