PDA

View Full Version : New Ati Radeon causing major prob's with XP

fergie
30-01-2004, 07:51 AM
Hi.
I got me a new Radeon 9600XT the other day, all was well until last night, i was playing Call of duty, and it l;ocked up - so i reset.
After this problems have kept occuring.
I booted into Win XP Pro, was all fine, then about 2 mins later, the pc just restarted.
I tried again, same problem.
I downloaded the lastest drivers (4.1) from another pc - and installed them, i'm still getiing the same random resets.
I booted up in safe mode, and unitsatlled the drivers/card, and i used xp's generic drivers, but it still randomly locks up.

I can only last about 2mins before a lock up, sometimes it occurs straight away.

What to do?

fergie
30-01-2004, 04:52 PM
it just keeps getting worse...

I get home from skool today, and a few guys said it could be my power supply been overloaded, so i unpluged my dvdrom, cdrw, a Hdd, and 2 fans, still the same thing...
so i take out the Radeon and put in a spare GF 4 MX i have lying around, thinking now eveyrthing will be fine....

as soon as windows does its scan of the disks (because of the reboots) the computer reset.
so i tryed to start in safe mode - but half way through laoding the drivers in that, it locked up, i tried it again, and it worked though.

So, summed up:

I got a new Radeon 9600XT, all was fine, played games etc for about 2 days - no probs.
One day, playing CoD, it locked up, reset, tried again, same thing.
Started windows, surfed net for about 20min, lock up, and now whenever i load windows it crashes.
Tried latest drivers... same thing, tried XP generic drivers... lock up, tried GF 4, lock up...

Someone please let me no wot i can try to do to fix this problem

ilikelinux
30-01-2004, 05:00 PM
it doesnt sound like a video card prob,

what wattage has your psu got?

fergie
30-01-2004, 05:17 PM
300w - but it came with a pretty cheap case.

And plus, my mate was saying that when he had a PSu prob, it was just random as to whne it'd lock up, mine is always fine in the bios/dos, and when scandisk is running, but as soon as XP has loaded, it locks up then, and i've just left my pc running in safe mode for about 20min - no probs

Graham L
30-01-2004, 05:17 PM
It might be the memory on the video card or the video processor. It is a new piece of equipment. Early mortality is fairly common. I'd suspect the new thing rather than the power supply.

fergie
30-01-2004, 05:33 PM
o man.
um, yeah - tried starting in safe mode afteer a rebbot - got thsi messgae:

"Windows cannot start, a file is corrupted or deleted:
(windows root)\system 32\ntoskrnl.exe"

stink...

um, so i guess a windows reinstall is looking likely?

And if so, the last 3 times i've done a windows repair, i've had to end up formating the hdd, and doing a clean install, as it used to lock up after it had finsihed the install, and was doing the reboot (just before it loaded windows it would freeze and restart)
I've tried it 3 times before - all times have resulted in this, so what can i do to avoid it happening this time?

thanks

tweak\'e
30-01-2004, 05:34 PM
considering its doing it with 2 different video cards i doubt its video related.

best guess is you have a stuffed psu. elcheapo 300w would be well underpowered for most new pc's.

tweak\'e
30-01-2004, 05:36 PM
>the last 3 times i've done a windows repair, i've had to end up formating the hdd, and doing a clean install, as it used to lock up after it had finsihed the install, and was doing the reboot (just before it loaded windows it would freeze and restart)
I've tried it 3 times before - all times have resulted in this, so what can i do to avoid it happening this time?

fix the hardware. if the pc keeps crashing due to faulty hardware then files tend to get corrupt.

metla
30-01-2004, 05:36 PM
The computer crashing is likely to cause the file corution on the harddrive.

The extra draw on the psu by the new video card may have bougt the psu to the end of its life,i would try another psu.

However thats easy for me to say,ive got a stack of the babies.

fergie
30-01-2004, 05:47 PM
ok.
so a new psu, and a windows repair...

anyone with any thoughts on how to reinstall windows without losing much data?

metla
30-01-2004, 05:50 PM
No reson to lose any data,insert the cd,choose new install,it will find your existing install of xp and ask if you want to repair it,follow your nose from there and it will be all up and running in no time with no lose of data

fergie
30-01-2004, 05:52 PM
yeh, thts wot i said b4 - whenever i do a repair, it stuffs up - and i have to format

metla
30-01-2004, 05:59 PM
Well.....im too busy acting like i know everything to bother reading your little posts....

fergie
01-02-2004, 08:32 PM
um, booted from my xp disc - went to reinstall windows, and just after agreeing to the EULA, the pc reset.
is this the PSU? i hope so anyway - cos if it ain't, i dunno wot it'll be.

i've got a PSU coming tomorow - so i'll keep u all updated

fergie
01-02-2004, 08:49 PM
o, if it is the psu i'll haev to order a new one (the one i'm trying is a mates)
are there any brands to avoid?
Out of these, whats the best:
iCute
Super Flower
Hyena

wurzul
01-02-2004, 09:34 PM
Hi
I had a very similar problem with locking up rebooting etc. swapped video cards, disconnected everything , swapped psu, turned out the cpu was fritzed. Fitted a new cpu and no more problems. It seemed the heat transfer paste on the heat sink had migrated and was intermittantly shorting out some caps.
It may be a long shot but when all the obvious things don't work whats left?
Wurzul :D

fergie
02-02-2004, 07:55 AM
o great.
i didn't need to hear that :p

Greg S
02-02-2004, 08:35 AM
Seeing as you unplugged so many devices it's almost certainly not going to be the PSU.

Suggest you reformat and do a clean install. You could backup important stuff by putting your hard-drive into someone else's PC and copy to a folder, and copy it back later

tweak\'e
02-02-2004, 10:53 AM
>Seeing as you unplugged so many devices it's almost certainly not going to be the PSU.

NO. thats one very poor diagnostic. just because you unloaded a bit of load off the psu dosn't mean its not stuffed. i had one the other day doing exactly the same thing. turned out to be blown caps in the psu.

test it with a good known psu.

fergie
02-02-2004, 09:55 PM
>Suggest you reformat and do a clean install. You could backup important stuff by putting your hard-drive into someone else's PC and copy to a folder, and copy it back later

read my above posts... i can't do this - it locks up :(

my mate forgot to bring PSU - will bring tomorow (hopefully - i'm eggting sikc of using parents pc)

I'm hoping like hell its PSU - i don't wanna fork out for a new cpu

metla
02-02-2004, 10:03 PM
I wouldnt worry about the cpu.

But i would try the psu out of your parents computer.

PoWa
02-02-2004, 10:06 PM
Don't get any of those brands of Power Supply. Fork out some cash for an Enermax from www.pp.co.nz

Greg S
02-02-2004, 11:22 PM
> >Seeing as you unplugged so many devices it's almost
> certainly not going to be the PSU.
>
> NO. thats one very poor diagnostic.

I didn't diagnose - I gave an opinion. You're a stupid twit , tweakie - you gave too much an opinion. There are many issues that could cause the poster's symptoms, but you're almost making them go buy and replace a new PSU. Tweak - you're an imbecile, and should be locked in chains to prevent you from destroying people's computers

> test it with a good known psu.

Yeah right - someone is asking at this level and all you got to say is "test it with a good known psu"

You're a danger to the general public! What about the general safety precautions etc? You, Tweakie - go be a pseudo PC tech support kiddie that you are, but stop giving so-called definitive advice without full backup information.

Greg S
02-02-2004, 11:30 PM
Oops - In retrospect I better put in an apology at this time for the insulting language - sorry tweak

metla
02-02-2004, 11:40 PM
Looks like someone hit a nerve.....

xerxes3
02-02-2004, 11:55 PM
this is a known problem with some radeon video cards and call of duty - google yr problem for fixes

xerxes3
03-02-2004, 12:02 AM
check this link - seems to be the drivers, not the card
http://www.sapphiretech.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1589

Greg S
03-02-2004, 12:10 AM
> Looks like someone hit a nerve.....

Yeah - double sorry :(

fergie
03-02-2004, 10:36 PM
hi all.
i tried a new PSU, alls good.
been going fine for 4 hrs now, played CoD - no probs.

Only thing, i've got a GF4 in at mo - as Radeon needs a 300W PSU, my mates is only a 200W, so i gotta get me a new one.
Is anything wrond with Superflower and iCute brands?

tweak\'e
03-02-2004, 10:40 PM
i'm not sure who makes the icute ones but for the small extra $$$ an enermax would be far better. there are a few good brands around but it depends on what the store can get for you. i usually use the enermax or aopen psu's.

metla
03-02-2004, 10:41 PM
Buy whichever psu is available and in your price range.

Some are better then others and more expensive then others but all of them will do the job.

I looked into a superflower silent drive a year or so back,they seemed fine,loads of nice features and at the time i couldn't find any negative feedback about them.

Then i went out and bought a $50 psu....