PDA

View Full Version : Bootlog.txt on Win XP Home

tbacon_nz
29-01-2004, 10:47 PM
I'm trying to track down some issues with my PC, so I went into msconfig and under the BOOT.INI tab checked the /BOOTLOG check box. However when I rebooted no bootlog.txt file was created. I know XP is taking notice of at least some of the checkboxes because if I check /SAFEBOOT it does boot into Safe mode.

Any ideas?

Tony Bacon

Babe Ruth
30-01-2004, 09:44 AM
tbacon_nz,

When you select this option, Windows starts up normally and creates a log file that lists the names and status of all drivers loaded into memory. To view the contents of this file, look for Ntbtlog.txt in the %SystemRoot% folder (Possibly C:\WINDOWS). If your system is hanging because of a faulty driver, the last entry in this log file may identify the culprit.

Cheers, Babe.

Babe Ruth
30-01-2004, 09:54 AM
Here's a tip to put Safe Mode on your startup menu in WinXP

If you routinely test hardware, software, and drivers that require you to switch into Safe Mode, you donít have to go through the hassle of pressing F8 at precisely the right time and choosing from the startup menu. Instead, add one or more Safe Mode options to the list of available operating systems that Windows displays at startup.

To install this option, follow these steps:

* Right-click My Computer on the Start menu and choose Properties.
* On the Advanced tab, click the Settings button in the Startup And Recovery section.
* In the Startup And Recovery dialog box, click the Edit button to open Boot.ini in Notepad.
* Under [Operating Systems], select the entire line that contains the settings for your default operating system choice and copy it to the bottom of the list.
* Append the following set of switches to the end of the newly copied line:

/safeboot:minimal /sos /bootlog

(Replace minimal with network if you want the shortcut to start Windows in Safe Mode with networking.)

* You may want to change the timeout value to something like 5 (seconds) to give time for you to select the option and not too long to have to wait for your pc.
* Change the description in quotation marks to "Windows XP - Safe Mode" (or similar) and then save the file.

Next time you restart your PC the above option will be available.

Cheers, Babe.

tbacon_nz
30-01-2004, 04:43 PM
Thanks Babe, I was looking for the wrong file. I was trying to find bootlog.txt which is what got generated under WIN98.

Unfortunately when I found it it didn't tell me what I wanted to know. I am trying to track down why my Athlon 2400 with 512mb PC takes ~2mins from when the desktop first appears to when it will respond to a mouse click. I was hoping the bootlog had timestamped entries in it which might help narrow things down - but it doesn't. Any ideas on trackers that might help me find out what is going on?

Thanks,

Tony Bacon