PDA

View Full Version : Easy Backups Problems

Shelby_Wright
29-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Compaq laptop, P4 1.7ghz, 512mb RAM, Windows XP-Pro.

The Easy Backups utility from PCWORLD saved my bacon when I had an unsolvable problem and had to reload my machine from scratch. I easily restored all my data from a backup done to CD-RW the night before.

So far, so good, and everything is working fine ... except for Easy Backup!

It runs as expected from the CD-RW, processes a few dozen files, then hangs and cannot be cancelled. I have to power off the machine.

Here's what I've already tried:
- Uninstalling and reinstalling WinZip and the command line add-in.
- Different CD-RW (from original set).
- Reformat CD-RW and restock with all the necessary commands.
- Removing the file it stopped at.

None of these actions make any difference. It seems to stop at a different file every time I try it. I'd really like to get this utility going again as it has been great to use.

Any ideas?

Peter H
29-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Can't you remove it and re-install?
Bye

Shelby_Wright
29-01-2004, 10:06 PM
I found it more or less by accident. It turned out to be that Easy CD Creator 5 needed a patch to work properly with XP. I had applied that patch long before using the backup utility, and had forgotten about it.

That's the worst thing about starting again from scratch: Trying to figure out what needs updating and all the hundreds of little tweaks and mods you miss. I think I'll keep a changes diary this time around.

Thanks anyway

Graham L
30-01-2004, 04:02 PM
Well done, and welcome Shelby. A notebook to keep a record of such things is a very good idea. It's a Bad Idea to keep it as a disk file Some people have discovered that the hard way. :D