PDA

View Full Version : xtra dialup doesn't launch IE

mark c
29-01-2004, 04:55 PM
This is a friend's comp that I've managed to clear up all but for one thing, I can't figure out how to make the Xtra dialup trigger off opening Internet Explorer.

Clicking on "Xtra dial up" on the Desktop connects, but then have to click on the IE icon on the taskbar to open the browser.

How do I "stick on" IE onto the the Xtra dial up? so that open opens automatically.
Been hunting around for ages.
cheers MC :D

Markit
29-01-2004, 05:05 PM
Ok, have you checked that under tools, Internet options, connections that the dialup connection is listed there, and then make sure also that the option 'Always dial my default connection' is selected.

Check this.

mark c
29-01-2004, 05:39 PM
Yeah thanks for that but that's all as you suggested. Xtra listed (the only one) with "default" in brackets next to it, and "Always dial my default connection" is ticked, well dotted.

Tried even resetting IE to all the default settings, that 'one hit' button never used before but thought it might fix a lot of fiddling about.

Didn't in this case.

Anymore ideas? cheers ?:| :D :)

Pheonix
29-01-2004, 05:50 PM
Instead fo the "always dial my connection" , try ticking the "dial whenever an network connection is not present"

It is usually one of them that works.

And you can't make IE come up when you dial.....You can only make the dial connection come up when you open IE. That is what those settings do.

mark c
29-01-2004, 05:58 PM
Thanks Phoenix tried that didn't make any diff but I take your point about "launching the browser prompts the connection" not t'other way around.

Sooooooooo. I have had a good look around in IE but will have another shot from this angle now. Cheers M:DC

Pheonix
29-01-2004, 06:39 PM
Damn, I can never recall which is which. Just tick one, close down browser and restart browser to see if the dial box comes up.

One of them should do it, otherwise post back and see if we can delve deeper for a cause.

mark c
29-01-2004, 06:49 PM
Well that's funny as Father Ted but doesn't seem to make any difference. I tried both, disconnected and reconnected and all that but no diff.

Big puzzle is I can never figure out where in the connection wizard you put which browser to open and then I installed Opera SEVERAL TIMES AND THERE'S OOpS CAPS LOCK and there it gives an option like where tom put the shortcut icons and that always launches the connection.

Thanks for your help so far, thought it must be something simple and obvious, but doesn't seem to be huh?

M :D

Graham L
29-01-2004, 06:55 PM
"Connections" don't know what application you want. All the connection does is "connect". Applications like browsers, terminal emulators, FTP, trojans, etc will look for an active connection when they are started. The modern ones will start a connection if there isn't one.

mark c
29-01-2004, 07:08 PM
OK Great thanks but where in the app. do you point it to the connection?
Maybe it's a reinstall of IE? :_|

Peter H
29-01-2004, 07:38 PM
No. You need to open IE first - then point it somewhere - home page or what you want.
Bye

mark c
29-01-2004, 07:58 PM
Thanks Peter H but I don't think it's a home page thing, it's before that. Someone else set this comp up, and anti M$ geek, (I have no prob with these ppl) and I suspect they configured the dial-up to not launch IE, now I want it to.

N.B. The comp works fine just like to get it so that one click will start the connection then open the browser.

Thanks for all yr help so far e'body. :D

mark c
29-01-2004, 08:57 PM
Goddittt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :^O :^O :^O

Thanks everyone i finally got it by the marvelous art of 'fiddling'. Had this folder with Xtra dial-up in it and an IE icon and finally dumped the Xtra icon from the desktop which is what I had been using and shifted the IE icon to the desktop and bingo!

S'pose this doesn't make a lot of sense but i got it to work the way I wanted. :D