PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen that add buy a lappy get few desktop puter?

beetle
29-01-2004, 04:53 PM
now that is something to think about dont you think?
this is not from the warehouse.

i am not sure of details / specs but for the price it means about $1500. each item ?

ok did a searh and its a NEC notebook and a Packard Bell pc Free they say.

and no i am not in the market to buy anything at the moment.

just curious if any one has seen them and if they are any good as i dont know the NEC brand.
disregard this post if already been done please.

no flames please.

beetle

beetle
29-01-2004, 04:55 PM
Duh !

its supposed to be : " free desktop "

going back to my hole now.....

beetle

Lizard
29-01-2004, 05:23 PM
Seems like a good deal to me, though naturally people will have an issue with the specs. ;\ If I had the cash, I would find someone who wanted either a laptop or a PC, and go halves with them, or split it $1000/$2000. But, pity me, no cash to spend on a computer - yet... :(

Megaman
29-01-2004, 05:33 PM
it would be good cos you could upgrade it pretty easliy (the desktop) and bigbyte would do the laptop for you

beetle
29-01-2004, 05:37 PM
never quite sure what to believe any more, as to what is good or bad.

its a package deal, $2999 GST inclusive,
Big byte, Noel lemming, Bond & Bond.

have no idea what id do with a Lappy at this stage, Dreaming of course.

beetle

Graham L
29-01-2004, 06:28 PM
Its not a bargain unless you need the whole package. :D I liked the look of a $2000 laptop+printer today ... but I didn't buy it.

beetle
29-01-2004, 09:08 PM
Ok
now ive been asked a few times already do i want to buy one of these things????

i am always looking at new puters (who doesnt?) but am not at moment on the market for a new package deal,

its always nice to think one is going to get a new puter, but what i want and what i will get are two major differences, it all comes down to money....and at moment i dont have any.....:D

so just trying to learn any thing and everything about these bloody machines who wreck our lives....... :p

im sure you will be the first people to know when i have found one or got money for one........

beetle

richarri
10-02-2004, 12:34 PM
I've just purchased one of those "free pc with a laptop" deals from Bond & Bond and I'm waiting for the delivery. When I saw the ads I thought that was pretty good as I wanted a laptop for me and a desktop for my work and a desktop to replace our old family computer (Pentium Pro, 32 mb RAM). The NEC laptop on offer is similar to the Noel Leemings offer. NEC is a mystery brand to me and I had to ask around. My "computer expert" mate said it was ok ie a "reliable workhorse" but not quite the race horse but the the free PC that came with it was "ordinary" and not suitable for graphics-heavy or processor-intensive work etc... The only thing with the laptop is that it has no floppy disk drive. Now, the total package (finance costs aside) was $2,999, the retail prices are: $2999 for the laptop and $1399 for a total of $4398. Passing off the savings proportionately on both products under the deal the laptop cost $2045 and the desktop $954 a savings of $954 and $445 respectively (I think that's right). My personal appraisal is that the PC is probably closer to the $999 to $1199 value range. I'll make another posting when I set up my computers and see how they work.

beetle
10-02-2004, 01:26 PM
Welcome to PF1 richarri,

Thank you for your response to my post, i would be interested on how you find these machines myself, (even though i didnt buy one).

Please do reply in time when you have set up and run your computers, good, bad or indifferent, i am sure there may be others on PF1 who would like to know as well.

may see you around PF1,
welcome to the family.

beetle

JohnD
10-02-2004, 04:51 PM
These days you can get a laptop for $1699 or less and a desktop PC for $999 (total = $2698). So whether or not you are getting one "free" with this deal depends very much on the specifications!

beetle
10-02-2004, 05:17 PM
JD.
Well yes, but i think nothing is a good buy unless you havent got one or are in desperate need of something, and sometimes the simplest of items can help enormously.
And price is not always a good indicator. sometimes the heart over rules the head, and the must have, or wants is not always a good choice, and no one can ever agree on every thing let alone anything such as a puter.
so if you do end up better off no matter what the cost of the item, who can grumble at that?
and who also is to say a brand name is better than a noname brand now days?
we get what we pay for at times, and sometimes the cost is very high, while at other times, cost is little and the energy rewarding.

beetle

godfather
10-02-2004, 05:50 PM
Had a play with these PCs the other day in Noel Leemings (waiting for SWMBO shopping...) and they seem quite good value.

Its certainly not a "free" PC, but the costs are quite competitive for what you get.

For most (non-gamers) they are adequate.
And non-gamers are the biggest market for PCs.
A colleague is getting the combo for his business, so will know more in time.

beetle
10-02-2004, 06:05 PM
Thanxs Goddie, would appreciate your input .

And when you where out shopping did you manage not to buy any new gadgets then?????

saving it for that elusive rainy day???

beetle

godfather
10-02-2004, 06:19 PM
New gadgets? Moi?

Just put an airconditioner in my office, does that count? Nice to be in a cool room on a hot day...