PDA

View Full Version : Sending emails go faster in Linux?

rumpty
29-01-2004, 10:26 AM
For some time I've had a gut feeling that emails sent when using Mandrake go out with a smoother data flow than when using Windows, so I tried a few tests.

Using the same message, a couple of lines of text and some attached jpgs, total size 1.37MB, I sent from my Paradise account to an account with Freenet, and checked the outgoing data, time taken etc. Dial-up connection.

In Mandrake/Kmail the message took 6m 30secs, total bytes sent 1451787. Monitoring the outgoing data showed few glitches in the data flow.
In WXP/OE it took 10 mins to send, total bytes sent 2200000approx. Numerous pauses in the data flow.
In W98/OE time taken was 11mins, total bytes sent 1860000approx
Interruptions to outgoing data as before.
In XP/Thunderbird it took 16mins, total bytes sent 2498000approx. Needless to say, many pauses in data flow.

In all cases an identical size message arrived at my Freenet account, 1.37MB.
Time of day/ISP traffic is probably a factor, but my unscientific observations over some months point to Kmail/Linux having some inherent advantage over Windows negotiating with my ISP. My settings for MTU, Rwin etc are as they come. Anyone have any ideas as to why the Linux setup should be better?

bmason
29-01-2004, 10:39 AM
Interesting, I suspect it has more to do with the e-mail client used rather than the OS.

The size difference probably comes from using a different encoding for the attachment. Have a look in the message source for "Content-Transfer-Encoding: ". Kmail uses base64, I think OE uses something different.

rumpty
29-01-2004, 08:50 PM
bmason wrote:

>Have a look in the message source for "Content-Transfer-Encoding: ". Kmail uses base64, I think OE uses something different.

No, my OE and Thunderbird also use base64.

Chilling_Silently
29-01-2004, 10:43 PM
Try downloading MozillaThunderbird for Mandrake and try it using that too... :-)

rumpty
30-01-2004, 09:29 AM
Chilling Silently wrote:
>Try downloading MozillaThunderbird for Mandrake and try it using that too...

Yes, that is probably a good next step.

rumpty
30-01-2004, 02:11 PM
I haven't had time to install Thunderbird in Mandrake yet, but the same email
test using the mail component of Mozilla (in Mandrake) gave similar results to
Kmail.
Time taken to send 6m 45sec
Total bytes sent 1453545

Linux is looking good.