PDA

View Full Version : OT Turn the keyboard click off

WalOne
29-01-2004, 07:59 AM
A new addition to the household is disposed to chatting to all hours of the morning and the sound of the keyboard is proving somewhat invasive. I think the OS is 98, and I recall there used to be an option to turn the keyboard sound off or down?? Am I right, if so can someone tell me where to find that function?

Signed sleepless in North Wellywood.

dumdum
29-01-2004, 08:39 AM
I`m on XP so not sure if this will help you..
..control panel>printers and hardware>keyboard.
best of luck
DD.

Robby
29-01-2004, 09:09 AM
Hello,

keyboard click is more than likely to be coming from the program being
used to chat with, more than the os? If you could let us know the
program being used, we might be able to help.

cheers,

Robby

CYaBro
29-01-2004, 09:28 AM
The keyboard clicks might actually be coming from the keys themselves.
Some keyboards use a mechanism that makes an audible click when you press a key.
May be that the only way to fix is to buy a keyboard with soft touch keys.

WalOne
29-01-2004, 02:09 PM
Hi guys

Yes it may just be the keyboard - brand is "Elite" Elite what I don't know but it makes a racket when the offender is cranked up to full speed on MS Messenger. So it may well be the keyboard; it's just I recall a few years ago with a new Compaq I had the option of choosing the sound from the keyboard, and I thought this may be the same.

Graham L
29-01-2004, 02:13 PM
It used to be an option with DEC terminals. PC keyboards either click or don't, depending on the switches used. I think the early IBM PC keyboards were designed to click --- because the typists trained on golfball typewriters were used to that.

A pair of side cutters through the keyboard cable should do the trick. :D

CYaBro
29-01-2004, 02:22 PM
> A pair of side cutters through the keyboard cable
> should do the trick. :D

That'll stop it from working with the PC but if the offender wanted to keep offending they can carry on typing on it with the click click clickity click! :D

WalOne
29-01-2004, 06:45 PM
Thanks re the suggestion for the sidecutters ... I've discussed the issue with the offender, and we've come to an agreement that I may be entitled to use the sidecutters if the keyboard clicks or even clacks past a curfew at 2300. The threatened use of the sidecutters though, has nothing to do with keyboards if you get my drift .....

;\