PDA

View Full Version : Lost Users

linw
28-01-2004, 11:49 PM
Help, I fear I am in big trouble. I have just acceded to a request from Zone Alarm to upgrade to the latest free version (538). On re-booting I noticed that the welcome screen had my user (admin) and Guest had re-appeared. On putting in my password I got denied access and my account was disabled. On rebooting I got the Administrator user plus guest. Same thing happened, admin got locked out and next reboot gives me Guest only. Now I am stuffed in a big way. What the hell is going on here??

I have an image of C: drive but it is further back than I would like. My data is backed up separately as of today so that is not a disaster but I am greatly annoyed.

Anyone else updated ZA to 538?

XP Pro is my op system.

Ideas anyone? I can't do a damn thing as Guest.

PoWa
29-01-2004, 12:01 AM
Isn't there like a feature on the WinXP cd where you can change the admin password or remove it?

If you have the computer on the network u could try hacking into it, to fix it?

Laura
29-01-2004, 01:23 AM
Are you sure the upgrade request was actually from ZoneAlarm?

I ask this because yesterday (sorry-Tuesday) while surfing for specific information, a small dialog box without proper identification appeared & asked if I wanted to upgrade. This happened while I was on 3 different websites.

I was busy, so clicked to remove it - though thinking it was suspicious.
It didn't come back yesterday.

If ZoneAlarm update has a problem, many of us will be concerned. If you merely assumed the request was from ZoneAlarm because you were on that site, that's another story....

linw
29-01-2004, 08:17 AM
Whew, after going to bed in an agitated state I fired up this morning and to my amazement there was my user prmpt as well as guest. I entered my password and IT WORKED!!!! I now presume that the user account lockout times out like in many large systems e.g. Novell etc. I will investigate this aspect this morning.

With the latest worm warnings I was pretty apprehensive that I might have got one e.g. when ZA was disabled to load the newer version. (Moral - disconnect from Internet when upgrading your firewall sounds like a good precaution?). Anyway, the latest Doom one seems to come in an email attachment.

Laura, I really do think the upgd prompt came from ZA. It is part of their new approach. (Anyone know how to disable this auto update nag?). One thing I omitted to state last night was that when I rebooted, ZA came up with a screen asking which vers, Pro or Free, I wanted to run with and I also got a wscript error msge in a small box on the screen. This seemed to be a ZA install error. It gave me the ZA query again this morning but I didn't see the wscript error msg.

I am still a bit wary and promise to get my partition image done again! Will re-post if any other relevant matters crop up.

Thanks.

Steve Askew
29-01-2004, 11:48 AM
Yes Zonealarm now sends prompt to check for upgrades.
You can choose to check automaticly if you get sick of the nagging popup everytime you start your PC.

Steve

TonyF
29-01-2004, 01:25 PM
. (Anyone know
> how to disable this auto update nag?).
How to reset to manual ZA update.
Close ZA. In Registry go to Hkey\current user\software\zonelabs\zonealarm.

Double click on Cfg main.
Down to line 6 (0028) Right 5 spaces, change 01 to 00. Save, reboot.
Restart ZA. Preferences should now show as manual for update.

linw
29-01-2004, 01:48 PM
Thanks for that, Tony. I have done it now.

PoWa
29-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Next time if it happens....do ctrl+alt+ the del key twice at the welcome screen and it should bring up the professional log in. There you could type in your old username and password and get in. Seems like you forgot your admin password too?

linw
29-01-2004, 03:28 PM
Thanks PoWa for the info. I had forgotten about the 3 fingered salute method but that is no use either as the account is locked. It happened again an hr ago. Entered my password ONCE and locked out. Next prompt was for Admin user. I hadn't forgotten it and it worked. Std user maint showed no sign of my normal userid but could get to it via computer maint. Sure enough it showed as locked. I unchecked this and it was there next login and it worked. Checked user policies and see I have it set to 4 wrong attempts before it is locked and 30 min before it gets reset. There is nothing wrong with this as a policy. I guess the question here is how my account gets locked at one attempt. And I don't think that the attempt was wrong in the first place. I have checked for caps lock and num lock doesn't affect it.

Scanned for virus - none found. My system is behind a router and I have ZA and up-to-date AVG and Op sys.

I think I will do a system restore to before last night. System restores have fixed "funnies" several times before.