PDA

View Full Version : Orcon email no sendy thru OE

MrBeef
28-01-2004, 09:44 PM
Hi, i have one of Orcon's free email addresses.

I have set it up so that i can receive emails thru OE 5

And i am pretty sure that i have set al the settings correct for incoming and outgoing.

Now this is thru internet connection over a lan on XTRA.

On our main computer i can SOMETIMES send thru the same email on the internet gateway computer. Other times it just doesnt let me.

it comes up with this error...

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'person@icqmail.com'. Subject 'Re: just made deposit', Account: 'pop3.orcon.net.nz', Server: 'smtp.orcon.net.nz', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 <person@icqmail.com>... Relaying denied', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

i think it actually tried to send it then but died somewhere along the line

agent
28-01-2004, 10:00 PM
For the sake of simplicity you might as well set your servers to mail.orcon.net.nz, as pop3.orcon.net.nz and smtp.orcon.net.nz actually point to mail.orcon.net.nz (or the other way around, but they all have the same IP last time I checked).

Anyway, from my experience, Orcon won't let you send an email using their SMTP server even if you authenticate using POP before SMTP or even authenticate when you send your email, because their server is most likely configured so that it will only relay emails from IP addresses within their IP range.

Two options: get someone who's ISP is Orcon to host a mail proxy for you (what a stupid idea, for various reasons); or just use the SMTP server of your ISP - most people wouldn't know the difference about where it came from (ie, being sent through, say, smtp.ihug.co.nz but coming from mrbeef@orcon.net.nz).

MrBeef
28-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Hahah thanks, i changed the stmp to xtra

it actually sent, hopefully it gets to the right place.

Cheers for that

Jester
28-01-2004, 10:29 PM
I never had a problem accessing or sending Orcon mail thru Paradise when I was with paradise. Orcon say that their mail can be accessed from any ISP:

Works from Anywhere
Don't be limited by other providers that only let you access your email from within their network, or charge you for the privilege - you can access your email via POP3 or webmail from anywhere on the internet.

Maybe it's Xtra limiting what you can send thru them? I recall reading a while back that Xtra limit access to some things or wont relay mail.

J
:D

agent
28-01-2004, 10:43 PM
Most ISPs won't relay mail from IPs that aren't within their network because it reduces the number of places spammers can use, and other good reasons.

I think what Orcon are saying is that you can access your email from any ISP - via POP3 or webmail; but they aren't saying that you can send an email through their SMTP servers from any ISP you like, or else spammers would just absolutely love Orcon.