PDA

View Full Version : VCD's, SVCD's and DDR RAM (a big difference)

fus1_n
28-01-2004, 09:39 PM
Hi pf1ers.
just a few Qs..

1) What is the difference (quality and length wise) between VCD's and SVCD's?

2) What sort of DDR RAM needs to be put in pairs??

L8terz

tmrafi
28-01-2004, 10:54 PM
short answers

1. VCD = 352x288 resolution, Constant Bit Rate (CBR) MPEG-1 encoding. upto 50mins a CD. Quality almost VHS
SVCD = 480x576 resolution, Variable Bit Rate (VBR) MPEG-2 encoding. as VBR is employed could be 45 mins to 70 mins per CD. Quality almost DVD

2. Only if the Motherboard specifies Dual Channel DDR, you have to install DDR memory in pairs.

Hope that helps

metla
28-01-2004, 10:58 PM
Its a fair stretch to call svcd near dvd quality....

a dual channel mobo can run a single stick of ram,or 2 sticks can run in non-dual mode.

fus1_n
28-01-2004, 11:02 PM
> Its a fair stretch to call svcd near dvd quality....
Yeah...

do you know if any good DivX to SVCD CD burning programs?

> a dual channel mobo can run a single stick of ram,or
> 2 sticks can run in non-dual mode.

are you sure on that with DDR 400? because my friend tells me different.. ?:| OH well he is only 15. he is probably wrong. thanx for da help.

cheers

metla
28-01-2004, 11:16 PM
>do you know if any good DivX to SVCD CD burning programs?

uh.....That depends on what your trying to achieve,The only reason to encode into svcd is because it can be played on a standalone dvd player,Divx on the other hand will give better quality at a smaller file size but wont play on a dvd player.

If you already have a video file and want it to play from a dvd player then just use nero and choose sbcd.It will step you through the authering process and re-encode the video to svcd standerd if it isn't already.However,better quality can be had by using a dedicated encoding program.

If you can tell me exactly what you are trying to achieve i may be able to supply more indepth suggestions.

Oh.....go download virtual dub as soon as possible,its a brute force editor and does encoding as well.

That will give you the chance to play around with encoding film into different formats...

metla
28-01-2004, 11:19 PM
meh...i copied your question over and didnt even read it properly....heh heh heh.....ive foot my foot in mouth more then once here doing that.

Try virtual dub or older free versions of tempgenc.

metla
28-01-2004, 11:20 PM
Bruce....get us an edit button before i start to look silly...

oh wait,,,

bugger.

fus1_n
28-01-2004, 11:36 PM
I have downloaded a movie (the fast and the furious by the way).... hmm hmm... this isn't really the place to say this but...
its 677MB. I have already put it on a CD in DivX format (to keep the high quality) but I want to put it onto VCD or SVCD so my friend can watch it on his DVD player. By the way its 1 hour 46 mins and 48 seconds. I have an older ver of Nero wich doesn't have a SVCD option and anaway I dont think it supports the DivX format the movie is in (the fast and the furious by the way) do you mean svcd or sbcd?

metla
28-01-2004, 11:41 PM
sbcd?

Did i say that?

lmao....it apears i did indeed.

Try virtualdub or tmpgenc to encode it,i think recent releases of tmpgenc even do the authering.

You may also want to visit the site www.vcdhelp.com for tutorials.

tmrafi
28-01-2004, 11:58 PM
hmm
DVD is 720x576 MPEG2VBR compared to SVCD 480x576 MPEG2VBR, hence I said near DVD picture quality. When it comes to Audio, no comparison between DVD and SVCD ;-) DVD is of course superior

DivX AVI to SVCD is the way to go, provided your DVD player can handle SVCD. Most of the cheap DVD players made in China support SVCD.

Now I shouldn't be saying this, but hereyago
DVD2SVCD 1.2.1 Build 3 (Freeware) is what you need. It has everything to convert AVI and DVDs to VCD or SVCD, but for the MPEG-2 Encoder. It supports TMPGEnc Freeware MPEG-2 encoder, or you can shell out $1000 and get Cinemacraft Encoder or Canopus Procoder, Your choice ;-)
Now don't ask me where to get DVD2SVCD and TMPGEnc. They are both freeware and readily searchable on your favourite search engine....

<<<evil grin>>>

kiwibeat
29-01-2004, 09:30 AM
Encoding takes for ever on a slow system its more effective to just buy a dvd burner these days and use dvd shrink and nero 6 etc just got a liteon 411 a few months back and its very quick and easy to use