PDA

View Full Version : Hoax for sure - "Congratulations! You have won"

write-click
28-01-2004, 05:03 PM
I'm just received an email telling me I've won US$450,000 in a lottery sponsored by Microsoft and done on the basis of my email address (wouldn't that be nice!) and that all I have to do is email some guy to claim my prize.

I'm not naive enough to think it's kosher, but I'd like to know if it's a virus or something sinister. I checked on Symantec's site but couldn't find anything about it (only the $800 Microsoft "email all your friends" hoax). Has anyone else heard about it (it tells you to keep the information confidential until the claim is processed but I figured I could tell you guys...!) and is delete the best option? I don't want to find it is a nasty that wrecks my hard drive.

ilikelinux
28-01-2004, 05:18 PM
hoax, spam, scam,

whats the difference?

write-click
28-01-2004, 05:31 PM
Thank you ilikelinux, I had kinda gathered that already. I just wanted to know if anyone knew more about it and whether it is just the modern version of "my father in Nigeria would very greatly appreciate it if you could please forward your bank account details so he could store some funds in them for a short time".

godfather
28-01-2004, 05:32 PM
If those emails were true, I would be very very rich ...

If you are gullible enough to respond, you will be asked for a deposit of a few $000 to enable the transfer of the funds. Then more etc.

Its a variation on the Nigerian scam.

Delete, delete delete...

write-click
28-01-2004, 05:44 PM
Thanks Godfather, I was pretty sure that's what it was as I know Microsoft don't send out emails like this (or give away heaps of dosh!). I wasn't keen to respond to their "fiducially agent"!!! Besides, I have never, even when using an alias to get rid of boring men in the pub, used the name Mrs Edna Lylisted! Poor Edna, it must have been sent to me by mistake, she will be devastated when she learns she has missed out on a fortune!

Jen C
28-01-2004, 06:47 PM
A good rule is not to click on any links within emails that offer you $$ or xyz products etc, no matter how tempting it is to just take a quick look. :D

By following a link, you will just confirm a valid email address exists and invite even more spam. It is also important not to have the preview pane showing in Outlook Express as previewing emails with graphics which are downloaded off a server as the email is viewed, will also confirm a valid email address.

A general rule is just to delete any unusual email or spam.