PDA

View Full Version : OT: New Immigration Rules

csinclair83
28-01-2004, 02:21 PM
immigration (http://onenews.nzoom.com/onenews_detail/0,1227,251597-1-8,00.html)

i think the goverment is just getting too controlling...

what if a deaf or blind person or a person who has asthma or something wants to come here for a OE....
guess our tourism is gonna get hit for 6....

Terry Porritt
28-01-2004, 07:16 PM
No, the Government is not getting too controlling Chris, it's maybe nearly getting back to some of the strict rules that were in force when we applied to come to NZ some 27 years ago, from England that is, not from some outlandish disease ridden country.

The whole family had to undergo a rigorous medical examination, and our admission would not have proceeded if we had failed.

In addition I'll add it took about 12 months of bureaucratic processes letters to and fro, CV and umpteen references to and fro etc etc before we had the go-ahead.
Now since Bolger declared us to be part of Asia in 1990 something, it seems that you can or could just buy yourself into the country.

Wild Honey
28-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Its only if you are staying longer than 12 months

The Govt has every right to say who can / can't come into the country. Our health system is overburdoned enough as it is. Without immigrants adding to it.

dumdum
28-01-2004, 07:49 PM
I agree with Wild Honey on this issue.

DD.

agent
28-01-2004, 08:13 PM
I don't know many tourists who stay longer than 12 months.

That said, from what I interpreted on 3 News, would the costs of a blind or deaf person exceed $21000 in four years ($21000 being medical costs, wasn't it?)?

rmcb
28-01-2004, 08:27 PM
About time, how many NZ residents are on hospital waiting lists, after a life time of paying tax, and yet Immigrants waltz on in & expect free treatment now??

Dolby Digital
28-01-2004, 09:04 PM
I would have thought it you had some form of medical insurance so that our Health system could claim back costs from the insurance company, rather than the punter involved, then they could come in. If I was going to the States, I would have some form of insurance as medical treatment is so expensive over there.

godfather
28-01-2004, 09:13 PM
But once they are here, and resident, and they stop paying the insurance premium (or they get dumped from the health insurer) do you then deport the NZ citizen (if they can even travel due to deteriorated health)?

You need to think these scenarios right through.

Stopping them settling here in the first place is the only way to enforce anything.

There is a public health system here (just).
Thats the point of difference

Growly
30-01-2004, 08:39 AM
Why can't we all just be friends?

csinclair83
30-01-2004, 08:54 AM
if we were all friends..
the news wont have anything to talk about...
coz these days it seems that "bad news" is 95% of the news...
death, murder, rape..

only good news comes when the all blacks or the black caps or ne other nz sport wins something big...

i wonder if it would work to actually have 1 day of good news, on radio, news, newspapers.....absoulty good news nothing bad...
it was done in germany...so y dont we do that..just to prove theres actually good around here

Budda
30-01-2004, 09:29 AM
lol yes it has been done before, they played "nice" news and everyone thought it was boring with a capital B and no one watched it :), its sad but true people feel better about them selves when they are not being the ones who are getting hurt