PDA

View Full Version : Serial ATA / IDE

pierre~
28-01-2004, 12:04 PM
I will try to explain my problem as simply as possible.

I have 1 Serial ATA Seagate baracuda 120gb drive and 1 Western Digital IDE 120gb drive.

I would like to install XP Pro to the Serial ATA drive and have the WD drive as a slave.

I believe it is quite a mission to install an OS to a SATA drive?

At the moment, in my pc i have my WD as my boot drive with XP pro (C:\), a 30gb IDE drive (D:\) and then my 120gb SATA drive (G:\)

I am using an ASUS A7V600 Mobo with onboard SATA and RAID (0,1 and 1&0 i think)

Any help please?
Cheers
Pierre

Odin
28-01-2004, 12:08 PM
When you bootrun the WinXP CD and enter setup you will see a an option down the bottom for you to install 3rd party Raid drivers as the setup loads (I think it is F6, but don't quote me on that) you will need to press that and then use the raid drivers on your motherboard cd.

pierre~
28-01-2004, 12:26 PM
thank you! :)

not trying to sound like a complete idiot here but, obviously, the installer wont see the drive at all without the raid driver will it...

thank you very much i will be installing that today :)

i shuld probably have tried that before posting how ever im at work and yea...

cheers

roben
28-01-2004, 02:46 PM
This is not a problem at all the install should work as normal Just make shaw that the drive has been picked up in the Bios then have you other drive set to slave and then do the XP install

pierre~
30-01-2004, 01:17 PM
yea i got the whole thing going properly this time.. i ballsed it up last time by installing XP to my SATA which wasnt my main disk... any how, i had a dual boot scenario and then formatted the main IDE disk (which was my primary installation) and lost the ntldr... so, i managed to install xp to the formatted IDE disk and re-copy the files off my sata back onto the ide.. then disconnected the ide and installed xp to sata and then put ide back in and bingo problem solved.

thanks tho :)