PDA

View Full Version : Floppy Disc Problem

Wild Honey
27-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Hello

I have an annoying computer problem, which I cannot fix........ Tonight I moved my Internet Explorer Favourites to floppy disc, and now whenever I click on one of the other icons / programs, my FDD makes a repetitive noise as though it is trying to access the info on a floppy disc. But there is nothing in the floppy drive.

How do I, where do I go to adjust my settings?

Computer is Windows ME

Sally

godfather
27-01-2004, 11:30 PM
Try this:

Put a floppy disk int the drive.

Access it in Windows Explorer

Access anothr directory on the HDD, to move the focus away from the A: drive.

Remove the floppy disk.

Reboot.

Growly
27-01-2004, 11:38 PM
Yeah, the thing's just confused :D

Growly
28-01-2004, 12:55 AM
Oh, i just saw that you're using windows ME.......

Well no wonder then.

Wild Honey
28-01-2004, 07:50 PM
No wonder what Growly?

Growly
30-01-2004, 08:36 AM
Sorry, I've never liked ME, I just blame it (foolishly, pointlessly and without justifiable cause).

In this case, the whole computer getting confused, I thought was because of ME's design.

Now we can blame to people at Microsoft.

Graham L
30-01-2004, 03:40 PM
Growly, it is not helpful to the questioner to give a personal opinion of an OS instead of a helpful answer. If you can't help, or at least give a sympathetic answer, (or a relevant joke ;-)) it's best to not post at all.

The OS the questioner is using may not be their choice, and often they can't change. I don't think much of any MS OS ... but I accept that they all work most of the time for most people. I use Windows ME because it came installed on the last laptop I bought and I'm certainly not going to buy a different MS OS -- I've installed RH9 Linux and I use whichever is appropriate.

The question is simple ... and the key to the answer is in the question : changing the IE Favorites directory to be the floppy drive root A:\. That will certainly cause the problem. :D I don't use IE ... surely someone will know the exact click track to change it back. I'd suspect it's someting like Tools -- Internet Options ...

Wild Honey
30-01-2004, 06:46 PM
Thanks everyone. Problem solved on reboot. Should have done that first :-(

Growly
30-01-2004, 11:20 PM
Hmmmmm, I seem to be a trouble magnet...

Before i bother excusing myself, sorry everyone :'(