PDA

View Full Version : Downloaded xp updates

teddybear
27-01-2004, 01:09 PM
Windows xp home with sp1
I have downloaded and installed 9 xp updates - all ok.
In explore, under windows there are 9 folders with blue fonts which look like this - $UtuninstallB.......... , and some with $UninstallQ.........
They match the ones I have downloaded.
Are these the updates and can I just back these up in case I have to reinstall XP later on.

Pheonix
27-01-2004, 01:30 PM
No they are the UNinstall files, in case an update causes a problem, you can uninstall it.
MS downloads them and updates the software, then removes the install files. Oh for undelete :)

tommy
27-01-2004, 04:23 PM
If you are wanting to save your Windows XP updates as backups in case you wish to reinstall Windows later go to the Windows Update page (http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp) and on the left-hand side select "Personalize Windows Update". On the page that appears select the option "Display the link to the Windows Update Cataloge site". You should now see a link for "Windows Update Catalogue". Click on that link to find the updates for Microsoft Windows Operating System, choosing to search for Windows XP Home. Select what type of updates you would like from the options then add them to the download basket to download them to a folder created on your hard drive for saving the updates.