PDA

View Full Version : The rebirth of COOL

JJJJJ
27-01-2004, 11:50 AM
What's cool about a PC that looks like a microwave oven?
Jack

Terry Porritt
27-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Also where does one put several 5 1/4" CD, CDR, DVD etc drives, or a couple of hard drive caddies???

JJJJJ
27-01-2004, 02:00 PM
I've since read the story and might add . Why pay around $1000 more for a comp that won't do anymore than a "proper" computer.
Just notice who tha author was too: Shame on you Bruce.
Jack

DangerousDave
27-01-2004, 03:25 PM
> I've since read the story and might add . Why pay
> around $1000 more for a comp that won't do anymore
> than a "proper" computer.

lol for the same reason boy racers lower, tint and neonise their cars, to have the 'cool' factor, although many seem this as a stupid move now...

- David

Spruce Buckmann
27-01-2004, 04:58 PM
isnt that title some obscure jazz reference? Bet you didn't know my cousin as a jazz nerd AND a compouter geek. Go Bruce!

ilikelinux
27-01-2004, 05:04 PM
> isnt that title some obscure jazz reference? Bet you didn't know my cousin as a jazz nerd AND a compouter geek. Go Bruce!

this guy looks dodgy

Laura
27-01-2004, 11:23 PM
Some people think it's not COOL to have an "in" conversation.

Not everyone has access to PC World.

Explain yourselves - or go into CHAT

Those going potty wondering..... what...? would like to share the joke -specially the ones who thought they were already pretty cool.

metla
27-01-2004, 11:47 PM
Just a guess but i presume there is an article in the latest mag entitled the rebirth of cool and it is about those little cube pc's.

They have a name,it escapes me at the mo.

Growly
27-01-2004, 11:50 PM
I'm still trying to understand Spruce Buckmann's post, my poor deprived tired brain cannot compete with grammatical diffculties....

Terry Porritt
28-01-2004, 01:56 PM
You young ones :) This is the connection with jazz.

Let's go back a while: original meaning;COOL=laid back, hence COOL jazz as in Miles Davis (look him up in Google if you dont know who that is).

On the other hand HOT= feverish, as in New Orleans jazz, eg Louis Armstrong, Jelly Roll Morton.

Though it can also be said that Bix Beiderbecke also had his hot moments, go to page 2 and click on HTOTW#6, and tell me what you think.

Also Sprucy (if that is his name, is also refering to 'The Birth of the Blues' if I'm not mistaken?

metla
28-01-2004, 01:59 PM
The rebirth of cool is the name of a series of jazz album compilations.

JJJJJ
28-01-2004, 02:14 PM
Well said Terry, but I think in this context "Cool" is supposed to mean something like fashionable or modern.
Which ,in my opinion, is not a valid reason for selecting a computer.
I think a computer that looks like a microwave, says more about the owner, than it does about computing. :O
Jack

Terry Porritt
28-01-2004, 02:52 PM
Thanks for that info Metla, I didnt really get past 78rpms :D

Terry Porritt
28-01-2004, 02:55 PM
Right Jack, the acid test is really are these cubes functional, fit for the purpose? etc. Probably if you dont want extra bays, and dont want to expand the system. Mind you there probably are lots of microwaves inside, after all cpu frequency is much higher than a cavity magnetron!