PDA

View Full Version : Transfer data over modem

Codex
27-01-2004, 11:36 AM
I have 2 computers One has Windows ME and the other Windows 98SE, can I link the modems and use some program to transfer files between them

robsonde
27-01-2004, 12:13 PM
easy answer is no.

the modems must have a phone exchange between them to work.

what you can do is buy a "Null Modem Cble" , this will connect the com port of computer one to the com port of computer two. both computers will think that they are connected by a modem.

windows comes with software to do "direct cable connection" netowrking, have a read of the help file.

the other option might be to buy two netwrk cards and a few meters of UTP cable and set up a network, this will be a faster way to push data and will be a better solution.

robsonde
27-01-2004, 12:17 PM
BTW the network card option will also let you share the internet between the two computer.

Graham L
27-01-2004, 05:19 PM
Easy answer: Yes.:D

If the modems have the standard "Hayes" AT command set, and as far as I know they all have, all you need is a single pair of wires between the modems. Set one to Originate mode,the other to Answer, and whatever other commands are needed to make them work in "leased line" mode. Then any communications mode (like DCC, or Kermit) ... which will use a serial port will work. That's what modems do: extend the range of serial ports.

But if they're in the same room, it's probably easier to use the serial ports directly --- if you have a "null modem" cable, which (as the name suggests) is a cable which behaves exactly like a pair of modems
configured in leased line mode. A length of twisted pair with RJ11 plugs tosuit the modems on each end might be cheaper. :D