PDA

View Full Version : buying a sound card

Lizard
27-01-2004, 08:33 AM
I was looking to buy an OEM version of SB Live 5.1, for about $40, including freight and GST, but the supplier has told me the card is no longer in stock, and his supplier is leaving the market. I've found, on Trademe, a 5.1 card for $25 +$4.50 freight.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/listings/0002-0359-0177-/auction-8418856.htm

It's a brand I've never heard of. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

somebody
27-01-2004, 08:38 AM
See if you can find the same card from a different place. The SB Live card is very good, and I would strongly recommend it.

Your trademe link doesn't work for some reason, but either or, I'd suggest you look around for another supplier of the SB Live 5.1 card.

Chilling_Silently
27-01-2004, 09:08 AM
Ive found the SB!Live to be a very good quality and reliable card. There are slightly better chipsets out there, but we wont go there.

Check out pricespy.co.nz for another supplier in your area who will sell you an SB!Live :-)

Cheers

Chill.

Lizard
27-01-2004, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the replys, guys. :D

There are plenty of suppliers of the SB Live card, but none approach the excellent price I found ($40). The next closest price I can find online is around $65-70, not including freight, and the best local price is about $90. The card I found on trademe is called AudioExcel, 6 channel (5.1), though I can't see what model number it might be. I was working on a Value-for-money basis ($30 delivered), but if the card is hopeless, then there's no point. If, on the other hand, it's simply a case of excellence (SBLive) versus good (AudioExcel), then I'd give it a go...

The reason this all started is I suspect my sound card is on the way out, with the sound quality of DVDs very quiet for dialogue, and unbelievably loud for background noise and effects. I've tried codecs and software - I don't think its software related, though I'm not sure. I'd rather not shell out $90 for a card that won't fix this problem. Neither do I want to buy a crappy sound card for $30, and introduce two variables (old, possibly broken sound card or new, crappy sound card) and still not know what the problem is. If I had some idea that the AudioExcel card produced good sound, I'd give it a go, and hope that fixed my problem. If anybody knows anything about AudioExcel cards, or knows of a website I can check out (haven't found anything myself), that would be great.

Thanks,
Lizard

Lizard
27-01-2004, 12:50 PM
Sorry bout the bad link. Try this one.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Components/Sound-cards/0002-0359-0177-/auction-8418856.htm

Lizard :D

metla
27-01-2004, 06:24 PM
I let out a laugh when i saw the auction that link goes to.

He says he buys in bulk and that why its cheap,Fact is its cheap because those cards are cheap,infact they are supplied for just about nothing.

if your desperate to get your system back to how it should be for the very minimum then that card will do it,However i would not compare it to a soundblaster live 5.1.

I sell those cards,but i wouldn't recomend them unless going into an older computer that is experiencing sound problems and the cheapest fix is wanted.

Its worth what he is asking,nothing more.

Lizard
27-01-2004, 06:34 PM
> I let out a laugh when i saw the auction that link
> goes to.

> if your desperate to get your system back to how it
> should be for the very minimum then that card will do
> it,However i would not compare it to a soundblaster
> live 5.1.
>
> I sell those cards,but i wouldn't recomend them
> unless going into an older computer that is
> experiencing sound problems and the cheapest fix is
> wanted.
>
> Its worth what he is asking,nothing more.
>

Fair call. I wasn't expecting much for that price. Do you know of a place that can sell an OEM SB Live 5.1 card for less than $60? I did find a place that sold them for $32 + freight, but they don't have any stock, and won't be getting any more.

Thanks for the advice. :D
Lizard

metla
27-01-2004, 06:46 PM
Nope,They would be selling at below cost if they were priced under 60 bucks.

Going by the ease of sourcing sb lives and the fact that the suppliers from what i have seen are asking very similar pricies i would take a shops claim that they had them for sale at 32 bucks with a grain of salt.

Not to say its untrue,but i wouldn't believe a price like that unless they actually could supply the unit.

Lizard
27-01-2004, 08:02 PM
> Nope,They would be selling at below cost if they were
> priced under 60 bucks.
>
> Going by the ease of sourcing sb lives and the fact
> that the suppliers from what i have seen are asking
> very similar pricies i would take a shops claim that
> they had them for sale at 32 bucks with a grain of
> salt.
>
> Not to say its untrue,but i wouldn't believe a price
> like that unless they actually could supply the
> unit.
>

Thanks for the advice, Metla

One more thing, if I could pick your brain - going by what I described above, do you think a new soundcard would resolve the quiet dialogue on DVDs? Or does it sound more like a driver/codec issue?

Lizard :D

metla
27-01-2004, 09:43 PM
hmmm....I could throw out a hunded what-if scenerios to do with a problem like that but in this case and a lot of others on this forum its all guess work unless the computer is looked at in real time so to speak.

Due to the fact that your noticing the problem while playing dvd's i would look at the audio configuration of the dvd software first,if you havent done so then i would suggest downloading a demo of another player and trying that.

Then i would look at how the audio is set up within windows,surround sound effects maybe enabled that cause what your experiencing.My own audio had an echo effect on it for weeks that was terrible,the option to change it back to normal was buried deeply within my audio options and was something i had enabled while checking out the software,it didnt become apparent untill i launched a title that used eax then it all went to poo.

It cant hurt to remove all software and drivers asosiated with your soundcard then re-install it.

Lastly i would be looking at the hardware....by this i mean speakers as well as soundcard.

Long story short.

Remove and re-install software and or drivers.
Swap out the sound card.

yadda yadda yadda

I wouldn't be looking at codecs .